Course Start DatesWednesday 29th January 2020
About the Course
This course is ideal for people who would like to learn the process of ceramics and the many techniques of working with it in a relaxed friendly atmosphere. From concept to completion, you will learn the different techniques available to you and why you would choose one method over another to achieve the desired result, turning raw clay material into your own unique piece. You will also learn about the pottery workshop, what equipment you need and how to use it, essential health and safety and how to set up your own facilities in a shed, garage, workshop or spare room.
From complete beginners to those who are more experienced we at Potten Farm welcome all. Tea, coffee, fresh cake and biscuits are provided on the day and if you are joining us for our evening class then you can look forward to a glass or two of local wine or beer (but please bring your own chauffeur).
Each week you will learn about types of clay and a different process of making such as:
- coiling– building shapes from hand-rolled ‘snakes’ of clay
- slab-building – building shapes from rolled out ‘slabs’ of clay
- pinching – using hands to shape clay
- styles of surface decoration - from underglazes to texture and glaze application
Work will be fired and you will be able to learn about the glazing and firing process. You will be able to create your own finished pieces using any of the above techniques and the tutor will ensure that you know how to work safely in a workshop environment.
By the end of the course you will have a range of ceramic pieces of your own design and enough knowledge of how to make pottery independently if you wish to continue beyond the basic techniques.
Classes are £25 per class, £130 for 7 weeks or £70 for a block of three.
Please note there must be a minimum of 2 on the course for the course to go ahead. Glazing required a minimum of 2 classes.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
• This course is suitable for those with little to no experience of ceramics.
• All clay materials, tools and some glazes are provided- A small charge is made for clay used which covers the cost of glazes and firing.
• With regards to what to wear I would suggest wearing clothes that you are happy to potentially get mucky. We do have a few aprons but these are limited so you are more than welcome to bring your own.
• It may be useful to come with a rough idea of what you wish to make but please do not worry if you forget or don't have time I will supply plenty of examples and inspiration. Everything else for this workshop will be supplied to you.
• Wine, beer, tea, coffee and biscuits/cake are provided on the day.
• Artwork must be collected by each student from the studio after firing
• Please note that full payments for our classes and workshops must be received in advance to ensure a place is booked. The fee is non-refundable unless the class or workshop is cancelled by Potten Farm Studios
• Evening courses are 16+ unless otherwise stated.
• The building is fully wheelchair accessible.
• Please visit our website for more information on getting here, parking and facilities. (free off road parking available)
An excellent ceramics session, pitched for beginners. Elizabeth was so patient and an expert in her field and she really inspired me. I would totally recommend the session!
Clare Foskett - - #27548
Not being very good at anything like this, I was a bit worried about going along, but I needn't have worried. The class was great fun and Elizabeth was very good at helping us all to have fun whilst creating something in clay. Elizabeth was very good at making sure we were shown various techniques to help us and took time to check on each one of us to make sure we were enjoying the experience but learning as we went. Elizabeth made the evening a lovely social event with refreshments also being served.
I would definitely recommend Elizabeth's classes (in fact I already have!) to my friends and would certainly think about doing another class myself.
Clelia Greco - - #27544
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.