Wet felted vessels - seam free! With Purr & Wag It, Tabletop Workshops
The little vessel you create with this felting experience is more than just decorative. It makes for a good loose change pot, key holder, plant pot or somewhere to pop your everyday jewellery at night. If you've not used the wet felting process it's likely it will take you a bit longer to form your vessel. If you're planning on making on a particular day please remember I need to post the kit(s) to you. If you are purchasing more than one kit please contact me first so I can change the postage accordingly. Schools and Community Groups priced separately, please contact me. With the contents of the kit you’ll use a variation of 2D wet felting to create a small vessel. All of the necessary materials are included and some of the equipment you need. Any other equipment you will be able to find around your home. The comprehensive PDF will guide you through how to use the resist, how to embellish your vessel and the layering and felting techniques to make and shape your work and more. Once you've mastered the art of using a resist you can make slippers, bags, cat caves, hats, hot water bottle covers, lamp shades, purses, phone covers, and the list goes on. This experience is great for those of you who already know the basics of 2D wet felt making but complete novices have also successfully completed beautiful vessels too. Processing the fibres is made up of a series of repetitive actions. Many people find this relaxing and some a stress buster. But, the final stages of wet felt making can be quite vigorous and very hands on. If you have arthritis or a similar condition in your hands you may find parts of the process more challenging. This does not mean you will not be able to undertake this workshop, just that it may take you a little longer to felt your work. But if you're feeling at all unsure please message me. If you're looking for something a little different, click the "message the maker" button to discuss a bespoke package for you. A bit about me: I'm a graduate of Goldsmiths College, University of London. She is an experienced felt maker who for over a decade has worked in educational and community settings. In addition to her community work she runs Purr & Wag It, fine art felted portraits. Heather holds an enhanced DBS certificate for children and vulnerable adults.
What's included in the price?
- merino wool tops (please let me know which colours from my website) - embellishing fibres - resist - bubble wrap if you don't have any - piece of fine netting - chunk of olive oil soap - pre-workshop instruction sheet - link to the How to section video tutorial on my website together with a password Not quite what you're looking for? Please contact me to discuss a bespoke workshop or course.
What you will need
- Sharp embroidery or textile scissors. If you don’t own any of these nail scissors make a good stand in. - A sturdy cardboard tube (tape over any sticky areas). I find the best are from tin foil or cling film. If you haven’t got one ready for recycling pop an unfinished roll inside a carrier bag and seal. - A plant mister or repurposed spray bottle full of warm water with a squirt of washing up liquid in (I use Ecover). If you haven’t got either of these a plastic carrier bag/large food bag and a bowl of warm water. - A couple of tea towels or hand towels or old tshirts. - A work area (approximately 1m2 ) that you’re not bothered about getting a bit wet (or cut open a bin liner and work on top of that)
3 hours (flexible times to suit)
Heather Fiona Martin is a graduate of Goldsmiths College, University of London. She is an experienced felt maker who for over a decade has worked in educational and community settings. In addition to her community work she runs Purr & Wag It, fine art felted portraits. Heather holds an enhanced DBS certificate for children and vulnerable adults.
This course is taught online
- Wheelchair users
- Hearing impaired
- Vision impaired
- Limited mobility
- Learning difficulties (SEN)
- Hen dos
- Mother's Day
- Daytime (weekdays)
- School holiday workshops & activities
- Stag dos
- Engagement, birthdays & anniversaries
- Fairs, festivals & exhibitions
- Tutor can travel
- Suitable for beginners
- Advanced/pro level
- Intermediate level
- UK Holiday
- Corporate days out & team building
- Public transport
- Father's Day
- Suitable for all abilities