This workshop needs at least two to run. If you are an individual let me know and we'll find somebody else. (If you are a group remember I need to post the kits to you when choosing your date.) If you don't know the wet felting process I recommend you do a 2D workshop first. NB: Please note this workshop takes a little longer on line than the in-person version workshop. As three and a half hours is quite a long time on zoom there is an additional fifteen minutes for a break roughly half way through. Schools and Community Groups priced separately, please contact me. On this workshop you’ll use a variation of 2D wet felting to create a small vessel. Heather will post you a kit with the materials and some of the equipment you need. Any other equipment you will be able to find around your home. On the workshop you’ll be guided through how to use the resist, how to embellish your vessel and the layering and felting techniques to make and shape your work. Once you've mastered this you can make slippers, bags, cat caves, hats, hot water bottle covers, lamp shades, purses, phone covers, and the list goes on. It's good for those of you who already know the basics of 2D wet felt making but complete novices have also successfully completed beautiful vessels too. Processing the fibres is made up of a series of repetitive actions. Many people find this relaxing and some a stress buster. But, the final stages of wet felt making can be quite vigorous and very hands on. If you have arthritis or a similar condition in your hands you may find parts of the process more challenging. This does not mean you will not be able to undertake this workshop, just that it may take you a little longer to felt your work. But if you're feeling at all unsure please message me. If you're looking for something a little different, send me a message through the "message the maker" button. A bit about me: I'm a graduate of Goldsmiths College, University of London. An experienced felt maker who for over a decade has worked in educational and community settings. In addition to her community work she runs Purr & Wag It, fine art felted portraits. Heather holds an enhanced DBS certificate for children and vulnerable adults.
What's included in the price?
- merino wool tops - embellishing fibres - resist - bubble wrap if you don't have any - piece of fine netting - chunk of olive oil soap - PDF emailed to you after the workshop. Please note these workshops require 2 participants to run. Not quite what you're looking for? Please contact me to discuss a bespoke workshop or course.
What you will need
- Sharp embroidery or textile scissors. If you don’t own any of these nail scissors make a good stand in. - A sturdy cardboard tube (tape over any sticky areas). I find the best are from tin foil or cling film. If you haven’t got one ready for recycling pop an unfinished roll inside a carrier bag and seal. - A plant mister or repurposed spray bottle full of warm water with a squirt of washing up liquid in (I use Ecover). If you haven’t got either of these a plastic carrier bag/large food bag and a bowl of warm water. - A couple of tea towels or hand towels or old tshirts. - A work area (approximately 1m2 ) that you’re not bothered about getting a bit wet.
3½ hours (flexible times to suit)
Medium - Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 4 weeks before the course starts
Heather Fiona Martin is a graduate of Goldsmiths College, University of London. She is an experienced felt maker who for over a decade has worked in educational and community settings. In addition to her community work she runs Purr & Wag It, fine art felted portraits. Heather holds an enhanced DBS certificate for children and vulnerable adults.
This course is taught online
- Hearing impaired
- Vision impaired
- Limited mobility
- Learning difficulties (SEN)
- Mother's Day
- Daytime (weekdays)
- School holiday workshops & activities
- Stag dos
- Engagement, birthdays & anniversaries
- Fairs, festivals & exhibitions
- Tutor can travel
- Suitable for beginners
- Advanced/pro level
- Intermediate level
- UK Holiday
- Corporate days out & team building
- Public transport
- Father's Day
- Suitable for all abilities
- Hen dos