Botanical soap & shampoo bar making with Rachel Hutton.
This one day course will explore the use of a variety of woodland plants and trees to create soap and shampoo bars using a variety of methods. An environmental alternative to plastic and a natural way to clean and condition your hair without any harmful chemicals. Once you have mastered the basics you will be able to tailor recipes to suit your individual need.
You will learn practical tips and techniques on:
• making cold process body soaps
• making pressed shampoo/body bars
• making hot process conditioning bars
• how to select, harvest, dry/prepare and store materials
• seasonal availability and working with the seasons
• how to infuse oils
• use of essential oils, fragrance oils and flavour oils
• how to adapt and change recipes to suit individual needs (e.g.: vegans, nut intolerances, types of hair/skin etc.)
• where to buy ingredients and responsible sourcing of them
• packaging options and shelf life
• PPE (personal protective equipment) selection and use
• health and safety related to making beauty products
You will need to bring a wipe clean apron, wear covered shoes and have clothing which covers your arms. Please be aware that this course will use Citrol and should not be attended by those with a Citrol allergy.
At Ecclesall Woods we pride ourselves on the high quality teaching from our tutors and our low class numbers (max 5 for most classes) and a number of our courses also have an assistant.
We have found that smaller class sizes are more productive, un-rushed and allow students to learn more
You will need to wear suitable clothing and footwear for working outdoors in this season.
Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 4 weeks before the course starts. Start dates may be amended on request.
Please let us know if you have any specific requirements or needs. All materials and tool use are provided for you on the day. Refreshments and biscuits throughout the course. Please bring a packed lunch, notebook and pen and wear suitable clothes and footwear for working outdoors.
This craft course provider has been awarded Platinum status for receiving 50 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.
1 day (9:30am to 4:00pm)
The course doesn’t currently have live datesContact the tutor for more information