About the Course
A workshop to weave your own braid, using simple and portable equipment.
Weaving braids and bands is a northern European tradition, and it's something that links in to many other traditions around the world. Once the basics are understood, you can go on to weave with different colours, patterns and yarns. It's a great skill!
On this workshop you'll learn:
- how to weave braids/bands using simple equipment (loom/heddle and shuttle)
- how to start and finish your braids
- how to thread a loom/heddle
- how to read and design a pattern
- Using the equipment is included in the course, but if you want to carry on weaving and keep this, you can buy it as an optional extra (£20), and on the day you can also buy hand made wooden shuttles (£30).
- After this workshop there will be the option to do a second workshop, which looks into more complex band weaving - making patterned braids and bands in the Sami tradition.
Helen Leaf, of Leaf Trading Post.
Unit 12 Woolshop and Knitting Studio, which is within Sherwood Forest Art and Craft Centre. This is a great woolshop with space for our small creative group.
Parking is nearby, in the Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre car park (£4 per day, or free for RSPB members). There is a bus stop outside the Visitor Centre - the bus is the Sherwood Arrow, from Nottingham.
To book your place:
Booking is through Ursula Urbansdotter of Unit 12 Woolshop - if you use the contact form I'll give you the number to contact there directly.
Places are limited, but if the workshop is fully booked you will be offered the first place for the next available workshop.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
- The yarn you use to make your braid
- Use of the weaving equipment
- Tea/coffee and cake/biscuits
Course dates are flexible; please get in touch for the next available date.
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.