About the Course
On this four week course, you will learn how to construct a blind with a standard fold where all of the pleats stack neatly on top of each other. The techniques covered are essential to make high quality items for your own home or for friends and family.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
Small group of students - maximum 5 students per course. All equipment will be provided and the course will take place in our purpose built workshop in Huddersfield.
The course is taught by Jan who is City and Guilds qualified and has previously taught upholstery and sewing for Kirklees College.
Advice and teaching is very hands on and practical and students will learn at their own pace in a friendly and fun environment. Students with no experience are welcome and will be taught the basic skills required to progress to a complete blind project. Students with some experience and a desire to refine skills or learn new techniques are equally welcome.
Parking is available on site and is free. Refreshments are included.
Each student will need to bring or buy the materials required to make their blind - advice can be given when the course is booked. Students will need their chosen fabric, plus linings and hanging kits.
Kits and linings can be bought from Manorhouse at below retail price and a large range of fabrics can be bought if ordered in advance.
What will be covered:
* Health and Safety regulations relating to roman blinds
* The various headrail and fixing options available to hang your blinds
* How to measure a window and how to deal with walls that are not aligned
* Calculating your fabric requirements for your project
* Your options for linings and interlinings and their suitability for your project
* Dealing with pattern matching and pattern placement
* Cutting out your fabric
* How to calculate the positions of rod pockets
* Creating rod pockets in the lining
* Putting the various elements together to form your blind
* Stringing your blind & attaching it to the headrail system
Course dates are flexible; please get in touch for the next available date.
This craft course provider has been awarded Silver status for receiving 5 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.