Spoon Carving (an introduction)
Contact course provider
About the Course
Experience making your own handcrafted spoons in a beautiful woodland setting on the Mendip hills in Somerset.
Spoon carving is an ancient craft which has continued into a very contemporary one. The use of simple hand tools gives you the freedom to carve in the woods and at the same time, using these simple but efficient tools, gives you the unique pleasure of making something elegant and useful with your hands. But be warned the therapeutic pleasure of spoon carving can become highly addictive!
The workshops are held in Phil’s outdoor workshop within the beautiful and relaxing setting of Windsor Hill Wood on the Mendip Hills in Somerset. Phil has been working with green wood for many years but has something of an obsession with the unlimited possibilities of spoon carving and enjoys sharing the craft with others.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
An Intoduction to Spoon Carving
• Learn to carve with an axe
• Learn the fundamental knife holds & techniques for carving with a sloyd knife and crook knife
• Relax and enjoy carving in an outdoor workshop within a woodland setting
• Enjoy carving and eating around the open fire, hot lunch, drinks and biscuits provided
• The use of all tools and materials provided
• Maximum group size of 5
• No previous experience required
• Workshops held on a Saturday of your choice. Dates available from February to October
• Clothing and footwear suitable for an outdoor setting required
• Wet weather shelter provided
• Carving requires a level of physical fitness, please contact me with any queries.