Important Coronavirus update:
We are taking precautions to protect the wellbeing of our workshop participants. From April onwards, all courses will be held outdoors to reduce contact and the chances of communication of the virus. In addition, we will also not now provide food and we ask participants to bring their own own; however, tea and coffee will still be provided in disposable cups.
The workshop involves:
* Sharpening axes and knives: techniques & equipment recommendations
* Creation & use of the draw horse & safety chopping block
* Mark out and carve you own eating spoon with a canted bowl
* Aftercare of your spoon which you take away with you!
If you will be redeeming a CraftCourses gift voucher on this course, the voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
The price for our workshops (up to 3 people) is £20 per person for 2 hours. Day and timing is by arrangement with the participants. Complementary refreshments will be provided, teas, coffee and cakes served from the Hedgehog Cafe caravan (situated in our garden). Donations are appreciated for refreshments (suggested donation is £3 per person). There is no charge for helpers or personal assistants attending with people with disabilities. We have a family member with a physical disability, so the caravan has safety steps and our ground floor bathroom and front door steps have handrails. We also don’t charge for non-participating adults who come with children between 14-17 years old.
Payments: please contact us using the form above for information on payment details.
FAQs & tools information
1. Can I bring my dog or other pets? Guide or help dogs are welcome, however, please leave other pets at home, sorry.
2. Can I bring non-participating children under 14? Nursing mothers and parents with babies are welcome, however, we are unable to provide crèche facilities for toddlers and children under 5. All children under 18 must be accompanied by a parent, gardian or other responsible adult over 18.
3. Are there hazards I should be aware of? Our workshop is in a sleepy village in rural Norfolk, however, there can be fast moving farm vehicles in our lane, we also have an ornamental pond in our garden.
4. Is there parking available? There is space for 3 cars in our car park, other vehicles will need to be parked in the village lane.
5. Will tools be available at the workshop? Axes, knives (straight and curved), a draw knife and a froe will be available for all participants. However, if you have your own carving knife and axe, or can purchase them before the workshop, please bring them along.
6. Where can I buy tools? You don’t need much equipment to carve spoons. All you need is a straight knife, a curved knife and a small axe. We recommend the following:
Straight carving knife: Opinel Carbone, No. 07 available from quality hardware stores is a very sharp and strong blade for the price
Curved knife to carve the bowl of the spoon: we recommend the Mora 163S vailable on Amazon
Hand axe : a standard small kindling splitting axe can be obtained from any quality harware store. A wooden haft is better than plastic or resin as plastic can get sweaty and slippery with prolonged use.
Starter kits (straight and curved knives) and equipment recommend below: please see our website for details
Carving axe: The blade of a carving axe is honed to provide the best cutting tool for carving and the haft is optimally balanced to reduce fatigue during use. For quality and price for the beginner, the Robin Wood carving axe is hard to beat.
7. Will tools be available to buy at the workshop? If you would like to buy an axe or carving knife at the workshop, please let us know three weeks before the workshop so we can have it ready for you.
8. Will personal protective clothing be needed? Whilst extreemly sharp , the safe use of carving tools is the best way to avoild injury, however, we recommend that parents or guardians purchase safety gloves for participants aged between 14-17. We reccommend ‘No Cry’ safety gloves.
Nick Gosman at Gosman Spoon Co.
The Old School The Street Fersfield, Diss Norfolk IP22 2BL