About the Course
The day involves:
* An introduction to the greenwood [trees and types of wood for carving]
* How to use axes and cutting tools safely
* Sharpening axes and knives
* Axe and knife techniques
* Technical overview of the carving process
* Carve your own cooking spoon
* Carve your own cooking spoon, continued
* Aftercare of your spoon which you take away with you!
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
The price for our workshops (up to 6 people) is £60 per person for a whole day starting at 10:30-5pm. Complimentary refreshments will be provided, teas and coffee and a light lunch served from the Hedgehog Cafe caravan (situated in our garden). Donations are appreciated for lunch and refreshments (suggested donation is £5 per person). There is no charge for helpers or personal assistants attending with people with disabilities. We have a family member with a physical disability, so the caravan has safety steps and our ground floor bathroom and front door steps have handrails. We also don’t charge for non-participating adults who come with children between 14-17 years old.
FAQs & tools information
1. Can I bring my dog or other pets? Guide or help dogs are welcome, however, please leave other pets at home, sorry.
2. Can I bring non-participating children under 14? Nursing mothers and parents with babies are welcome, however, we are unable to provide crèche facilities for toddlers and children under 5. All children under 18 must be accompanied by a parent, gardian or other responsible adult over 18.
3. Are there hazards I should be aware of? Our workshop is in a sleepy village in rural Norfolk, however, there can be fast moving farm vehicles in our lane, we also have an ornamental pond in our garden.
4. Is there parking available? There is space for 3 cars in our car park, other vehicles will need to be parked in the village lane.
5. Will tools be available at the workshop? Axes, knives (straight and curved), a draw knife and a froe will be available for all participants. However, if you have your own carving knife and axe, or can purchase them before the workshop, please bring them along.
6. Where can I buy tools? You don’t need much equipment to carve spoons. All you need is a straight knife, a curved knife and a small axe. We recommend the following:
Straight carving knife: Opinel Carbone, No. 07 available from quality hardware stores is a very sharp and strong blade for the price
Curved knife to carve the bowl of the spoon: we recommend the Mora 163S.
Hand axe : a standard small kindling splitting axe can be obtained from any quality hardware store. A wooden haft is better than plastic or resin as plastic can get sweaty and slippery with prolonged use.
Carving axe: The blade of a carving axe is honed to provide the best cutting tool for carving and the haft is optimally balanced to reduce fatigue during use. For quality and price for the beginner, the Robin Wood carving axe is hard to beat.
7. Will tools be available to buy at the workshop? If you would like to buy an axe or carving knife at the workshop, please let us know three weeks before the workshop so we can have it ready for you.
8. Will personal protective clothing be needed? Whilst extremely sharp, the safe use of carving tools is the best way to avoid injury, however, we recommend that parents or guardians purchase safety gloves for participants aged between 14-17. We recommend ‘No Cry’ safety gloves.
Please see our website for further details on where to buy tools and equipment.
I had a wonderful time on this course. Nick and Sophie were excellent tutors - really knowledgable but patient and relaxed with us beginners. I'm really proud of my spoon and the lunch was delicious! Thank you for a lovely day!
Helen - - #22793
Response from Gosman Spoon Co.:Hi Helen. We’re so glad that you enjoyed your day, it was a pleasure to meet you. Use your new spoon with pride, well done! Nick & Sophie
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.