Woodland Survival Course
Contact course provider
About the Course
2 DAY SURVIVAL COURSE
This 2 Day Survival training course will provide you with an introduction to and good grounding in all the principles and skills necessary to survive in the wilderness. Wild Survivors' vast expertise and experiences throughout the world will develop skills you didn't even know you had, from basic fire lighting (which is not as easy as it sounds) to getting rescued, this Wild Survivors Course is designed for beginners who wish to learn from scratch, and those with some experience of the outdoors wishing to check their knowledge.
All our survival courses include hands-on practical training for a variety of subjects. Attendees of this course should leave with a good grounding in survival principles and basic skills.
This course and open to all aged 14 and above.
1. The psychology of survival
2. Protection from the elements
- Environmental medical (physiological and psychological affect of being too hot or too cold)
- Understand and take care of your clothing
- Taking advantage of and improving pre-existing natural shelter (caves, hollow, overhangs, fallen trees etc.)
- Shelter building using a tarp, insulation and weather protection using natural materials and/or salvaged resources anywhere in the world
- Fire Lighting and maintenance
- Use of fire for heating and cooking
- Signalling for rescue including standard international signals and improvised techniques
- Sourcing water and making it safe to use
- Water requirements
- Water sources
- Problems in wild water and medical aspects (dangers of seawater,dehydration,heat exhaustion,toxicity,pathology)
- Water treatment and storage
- Acquiring food from the wild
- Understanding our survival nutritional needs
- Medical problems from malnutrition and/or food imbalances
- Toxins and pathogens in wild food and avoiding them
6. Survival Camp craft and routines
- Gear and equipment
- Survival Kits
- Safe use and best practise for knives, axes, saws, fire kits etc.
- Making your own resources (cordage, containers, bedding etc.)
- Understanding your locality
- Telling the time and direction from natural indicators
- Safe techniques for crossing unknown countryside
- Best routes to safety
- Day and Night signals
- Passive and active signalling
• Small backpack (IMPORTANT: must have rain cover)
• Water bottle – 1 litre (we will provide the rest)
• Torch (head torches are best)�• Spare batteries for torch and any other device�• Waterproof Jacket and trousers (available to borrow from us with advance notice)
• Fleece / Warm jumper�• Warm hat or balaclava (that can be rolled up into a hat)
• Hiking trousers
• Sun hat / peaked hats / bandanas for keeping the sun off
• Feminine hygiene products (if applicable)�• Toilet paper�• Sun block
• Whistle (available to borrow from us with advance notice)�• Any personal medication that you require
• Sleeping bag
• Roll Matt
• Mess tin
• Gaiters�• Notebook and pen / pencil�• Spending money�• Camera / GoPro / mobile phone (waterproofed)�• Snacks
Don't worry if you haven't got everything you need, we do hire the less common stuff which is typically a lot cheaper than buying. Email us via the contact form above for further information.
Start & Finish Times:
All courses start at 1000hrs on their start date and typically finish around 1200hrs on the end date.
Please do not bring any food as it will be provided for you, please let us know when you book the course if you have any dietary requirements, we can cater for all requirements as long as we know before hand. If you wish to bring any snacks, you are more than welcome but please be prepared to carry them!
TF11 8JP - further details to be given upon booking
Although it is possible to reach our training location by public transport, by the very nature of the courses taught there is some necessity for remoteness. Therefore a taxi may be required for the final leg of your journey if you are not travelling by road. For those travelling by road, we offer free on-site parking. All courses are camp based, don't worry this is not a boot camp, there are no long hikes or mountains to climb we want you to have fun and learn.
All our events are covered by public liability insurance up to £5m. Full risk assessments are conducted prior to our events and all staff are first aid trained.
Upon completion of the event, all participants will be provided with a certificate.
Please get in touch for more details and booking.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.