About the Course
Intro to woodland hand felling
Learn how to fell small trees by hand and how to process them ready for use as firewood, craft material and brash. We will use traditional woodland tools such as a bowsaw, axe, felling lever and rope to fell the trees and a billhook, pruning saw and loppers to process the wood.
Trees need to be felled to keep the woodland in a healthy state and to allow other trees to grow to their full capacity. It also allows light onto the woodland floor, creating an environment for other flora and fauna to thrive.
1) Learn to identify which trees are safe and suitable to cut down for various needs.
2) Learn how to use hand tools safely and effectively.
3) Learn where the safe zones are and different types of cuts to use on a tree when felling depending on size and state of the tree.
4) Learn how to process the wood by using a pruning saw and bow saw to cut into manageable sizes and a billhook to sned (take the smaller branches off.)
5) Learn the different woods and what their uses are.
Arrive: 15 minutes prior to a 9:30am start
Depart: 4pm, although this is approximate.
Directions: Please look at the map featured to your right
Refundable up to two weeks prior to course (minus £30 admin fee)
No refunds for cancellations within two weeks of course
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
All timber and tool use. Refreshment and biscuits throughout the day.
What to bring: warm work clothes, pen and notebook, packed lunch
Let us know if you have any special needs
Lunch: bring a packed lunch.
Course dates are flexible; please get in touch for the next available date.
This craft course provider has been awarded Platinum status for receiving 50 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.