Learn how to sharpen your woodturning gouges. This workshop is offered to those who have a lathe and gouges and who are wanting a better understanding of sharpening.
The experience is held in the peaceful setting of our workshop located in the cottage garden of our home on the Cambs/Norfolk border.
Classes are one to one so you will have an immersive experience with the full attention of the tutor. There will be no other students in the workshop.
· Familiarity with spindle and bowl turning techniques
· Own your own tools (bring them along)
In this intermediate workshop, students will spend the half-day session learning methods of shaping and sharpening tools, on both a grinding wheel and belt linisher system (provided), culminating in sharpening their own tools properly. The focus will be on the following tools:
· Spindle Roughing Gouge
· Continental Spindle Gouge
· Spindle Gouges (standard & detail)
· Bowl Gouges (standard, bottom feeder & 40/40)
· Parting Tool
· Scrapers (standard & shear)
· Skew Chisels (various)
(NOTE: you don't need to own all of these tools)
You will learn how to grind the most common tools effectively (including your own).
About a week before your workshop date, we'll e-mail you again with more details about parking etc.
We also offer accommodation in the form of our Crafter's Retreat cabin or we can advise of other local B&Bs.
Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 2 weeks before the course starts. Start dates may be amended on request.
- All tools, materials and personal protection equipment (eye protection/lung protection).
- Smocks and old shirts, but the student may wish to bring their own. If they already have some woodturning tools, they could bring these along too if they wish.
- Refreshments (tea/coffee/soft drinks) and biscuits.
- One-to-one tuition/private tuition ensuring the student gets the maximum benefit from the experience with no distractions.
- Certificate of completion.
- Detailed course notes sent on by e-mail afterwards.
- Follow-up advice.
flexible times to suit
This craft course provider has been awarded Platinum status for receiving 50 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.
I have attended two courses which are run by Blended monkey, a 1 day turning instruction in lathe and tool use and 1 half day training on the sharpening of lathe tools. I found both courses of great benefit, well delivered by someone ( Simon )who knows what he's talking about. Both were one to one so felt more personal and beneficial. The venue was easy to find and well equipped with everything required, dinner on the day course was included with drinks coffee biscuits also available. Simon was a very down to earth guy very approachable and easy to talk to and thankfully had all the answers to my questions. If your a beginner like me and just finding your way around a lathe, then I cannot recommend these courses enough.
Response from Blended Monkey:Hi Andy,