Learn woodturning at an intermediate level in the peaceful setting of our workshop located in the cottage garden of our home on the Cambs/Norfolk border.
Classes are one to one so you will have an immersive experience with the full attention of the tutor. There will be no other students in the workshop.
· Familiarity with spindle and bowl turning techniques
· Own your own tools (bring them along)
In this intermediate workshop, students will spend the morning learning methods of shaping and sharpening tools, on both a grinding wheel and belt linisher system (provided), culminating in sharpening their own tools properly. The focus will be on the following tools:
· Spindle Roughing Gouge
· Continental Spindle Gouge
· Spindle Gouges (standard & detail)
· Bowl Gouges (standard, bottom feeder & 40/40)
· Parting Tool
· Scrapers (standard & shear)
· Skew Chisels (various)
(NOTE: you don't need to own all of these tools)
You will learn how to grind the most common tools effectively (including your own) and made a lidded box that you'll be able to take away with you at the end of the day.
After lunch, which we provide, the focus will be on turning a lidded box which students can take home with them.
About a week before your workshop date, we'll e-mail you again with more details about parking etc.
We also offer accommodation in the form of our Crafter's Retreat cabin or we can advise of other local B&Bs.
Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 2 weeks before the course starts. Start dates may be amended on request.
- All tools, materials and personal protection equipment (eye protection/lung protection).
- Smocks and old shirts, but the student may wish to bring their own. If they already have some woodturning tools, they could bring these along too if they wish.
- Refreshments (tea/coffee/soft drinks) and a light, rustic farmhouse-style lunch.
- One-to-one tuition/private tuition ensuring the student gets the maximum benefit from the day with no distractions.
- All work can be taken home.
- Certificate of completion.
- Detailed course notes sent on by e-mail afterwards.
- Follow-up advice.
1 day (flexible times to suit)
This craft course provider has been awarded Platinum status for receiving 50 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.