Spoon Carving in the Woods (an introduction)
Contact course provider
About the Course
Experience making your own handcrafted spoons in an outdoor workshop within a beautiful woodland setting on the edge of the Mendip hills in Somerset.
Enjoy cooking your lunch outside over the fire, eating with one of our hand carved spoons which you can take home (worth £25)
Spoon carving is an ancient craft which has continued into a very contemporary one. The use of simple hand tools gives you the freedom to carve in the woods and at the same time, using these simple but efficient tools, gives you the unique pleasure of making something elegant and useful with your hands. But be warned the therapeutic pleasure of spoon carving can become highly addictive!
The workshops are held in Phil’s outdoor workshop within the relaxing setting of woodland near Shepton Mallet in Somerset. Phil has been working with green wood for many years but has something of an obsession with the unlimited possibilities of spoon carving and enjoys sharing the craft with others.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
An Intoduction to Spoon Carving
To book please click on the 'view website' link above and it will take you to my Etsy shop where you can select jthe date you require, Thank you
• Learn how to take a section of tree and turn it into a crafted item, carving with an axe and knife
• Take home your carved spoon/s and spare wood to continue carving at home
• Learn the fundamental knife holds & techniques for carving with a sloyd knife and crook knife
• Try different carving tools and devices
• A gift of your own eating spoon worth £25 to eat your lunch with and take home
• Relax and enjoy carving in an outdoor workshop within a beautiful woodland setting
• Refresher notes, suppliers and further reading provided
• Tool sales and advice
• Enjoy carving and eating around the open fire, hot lunch, vegetarian & vegan options or a sausage sizzle! - all drinks and biscuits provided
• The use of all tools and materials provided
• Maximum group size of 6
• No previous experience required
• Workshops held on a Saturday. Dates available from February to October or request your own date
• Clothing and footwear suitable for an outdoor setting required
• Wet weather shelter provided
• Carving requires a level of physical fitness, please contact me with any queries.
What a great day, located in peaceful woodland I spent an immensely enjoyable day learning to carve a spoon.
Phil really knows his trade and is also an amazing teacher, patient and good to chat with. We started the day with a Lime log and ended up with two spoons.....just brilliant.
On top of that there was real coffee on the open fire, snacks during the day and a sausage sizzle lunch......honestly the best course I have attended and great value.
Simon - - #16783
Beautiful woodland venue, really informative and fun day with a lovely lunch cooked on the fire. Highly recommend
Penny Brinn - - #16682
Review this course
Course Start DatesSaturday 27th October 2018
- Suitable for beginners
- Suitable for events & groups
- Teen friendly
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.