About the Course
A mixed level life drawing course using short and long poses, focusing on line, light, colour and composition. Explore the numerous differing influences from ancient far eastern to western mainstream.
Who is this course for
With a backdrop of Eastern Taoist philosophies and the use of the Chinese brush: This western life drawing course explores a variety of different medias approaches and influences with the aim of getting a more profound knowledge of drawing. It is open to all levels, beginners to advanced.
What does this course cover
This course has a multidimensional quality in that it combines so many different approaches of life drawing. Also a multi layered course, each topic though seemingly very different in nature to its neighbours, interconnects with previous and later parts of the course plan which often can lead to unexpected results.
In term one we will start with a journey through line, Chinese line, light and shadow. (This more specifically uses the Chinese brush).
In term two this is a journey through colour with pastel working from the earth palette to saturated palette. We will also be exploring the role to the surface along with more traditional techniques such as perspective anatomy and composition.
In term three we will explore ideas with mixed media life drawing and how the media relates to the surface. We will also be tackling the figure in movement with visits to London contemporary dance schools and drawing cellists. Also there will be some oil sketching. During all three terms the Chinese brush will be used in all the warm up sessions.
In term one you should be able to do the following
* Demonstrate a sound understanding of three dimentional Chinese line, tonal line, expressive line and linear scale
* You should have acquired some experience with the Do Bi Chinese brush and how to manipulate the line with the wash
* Assess your tonal values
* To realise and, at times use, negative space to find the form
In term two you should be able to do the following
* Be able to understand some basic facts about proportion and measuring
* Be able to identify the difference between warm and cool colours
* Demonstrate a clear understanding of the importance of blending ratios of at least two colour pastels earth
* Be able to appreciate and evaluate the role of the drawing surface
* Have gained some knowledge of anatomy, perspective and composition
In term three you should be able to do the following
* Have gained some strategies of how to draw the figure in movement
* Have found confidence with media you have not tried before and found some alternative surfaces
* Have at least some theoretical understanding of oil sketching depending on your level
In all these objectives the following will apply
Beginners: Demonstrate a clear understanding theoretically of the above and apply it to some of their projects
Improvers: To both understand and apply these objectives to most of their work with some experience
Advanced: To use the above as a baseline to expand and develop their own ideas at a more profound level and think and work more independently.
Mary Ward Centre is an adult education centre with a difference. We provide a wide range of subjects for people at all levels and run courses during the day, evening or weekend to suit your timetable. Get inspired and enjoy excellent teaching in an environment where each individual’s learning experience is valued. That’s what makes Mary Ward Centre ‘the friendly place to learn.’
Please get in touch for more details and to book your place!
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
This craft course provider has been awarded Silver status for receiving 5 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.