About the Course
This exciting, online home-study course teaches you how to dye fabric a spectrum of colours using just three plants.
You'll discover the secrets to long lasting results, play with beautiful shibori and tie-dye patterning techniques and create a final piece using your new skills.
You'll learn more about the fascinating history and ancient heritage of the craft you're preserving while considering the ecological benefits.
Delivered via video and written tutorials that you can instantly download and keep forever, this course is packed full of content to help you feel qualified, confident and inspired to begin colouring your textiles with plants.
* 20+ hours of video and written tuition all available to download and keep forever (equivalent to a 3 day workshop)
* fun practical projects that build lifelong skills
* historical and ecological context
* 1 year's access to the classroom
* membership to our natural dye forum with over 10K members
* certificate of achievement upon completion of practical projects
* taught by a qualified textiles teacher
If you've been wanting to transition your textile work away from petrochemical dyes derived from fossil fuels, by instead creating stunning colours from plants, or even if you'd just like to revive your clothing with natural dyes and patterns, this course can help you fulfil your creative aspirations safely and successfully.
You'll have the opportunity to:-
* discover key equipment and tools of the trade
* create and use a dye journal
* set up your own organic indigo dye vat
* try 5 beautiful shibori patterning techniques
* create a reference swatch book of 12 colours using the heritage dyes - indigo, madder and weld
* modify colours using assists
* conduct wash and light fastness tests
* discover how to grow your own dyes
* create a naturally dyed, shibori patterned scarf using your new skills
“Thank you for sharing so much Justine. As a teacher myself I appreciate the level of dedication, knowledge, organisation, creativity, checking and rechecking that you have poured into the online training course. It is so well structured and very engaging. ” - Alex Lowman (past student)
“Thank you so much for this introduction to colour module. I was excited to see the rainbow of colours appearing before my eyes, and fascinated by the varying take-up of colour by different fabrics. This course has encouraged me to take a much more rigorous approach to my dyeing experiments, for which I am very grateful.” - Melanie Mott (past student)
This course has previously only been available live for one month per year. This is the first time it’s being offered as an 'on demand' option for people who like to work at their own pace.
To celebrate this launch, you can get a huge £50 discount using the code: SUMMERLOVIN. Terms and conditions apply, please contact me for more details.
If you’d like to start demystify this heritage craft and discover the wonderful colours hidden within plants, join now and you’ll have instant access to this comprehensive training.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
Course dates are flexible; please get in touch for the next available date.
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.