This is a 12 hours one-to-one course during which you will learn the basic skills of working with leather.
You will be shown different sewing machines and understand their differences, benefits and limitations. You will also learn to use specific tools for splitting, cutting, finishing and fastening fittings.
The course will help you gain confidence in sewing leather, understand the differences between various types of leather and leatherworking tools, and learn essential techniques to deal with tricky features of leather goods construction.
You will work with suede, thin and medium thickness leather and you will produce your samples of work to take home with you.
Below is a list of topics covered during the course; during the course, you will be able to focus on specific things you might be more interested in:
– To choose the suitable sewing machine for a specific type of material
– To thread different industrial sewing machines
– To use various machine feet, tools and equipment in your sewing
– To understand thread types and needle sizes
– Leather preparation, marking and cutting
– To learn how to sew leather
– To produce a range of seams and seam finishes
– To sew and finish zips on leather
– Learning how to cut and sew different types of straps and handles
– Using leather glues and paints
– Skiving, burnishing and edge painting leather
– Different closure techniques: sam browns, magnets, pop buttons etc.
– The use of reinforcements to back leather.
– Using leather punches and knives.
– Lining handbags and accessories with and without top facing using fabric and suede
– Creating, adapting and customising simple patterns for handbags: clutch, make up bag, tote, shopper
– Creating, adapting and customising simple patterns for small accessories: purse, wallet, cardholder
– Realising your own customised simple leather item using the techniques learned in the previous lessons (depending on your previous experience in sewing, this might not be possible within the 12 hours. A slot of an extra 4 hours can be booked in order to complete, or start and complete, your leather project)
Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 2 weeks before the course starts. Start dates may be amended on request.
On the day you will be provided with useful handouts to take home with you which contain:
– A list of tools and materials used during the lesson(s), including a description of what they are and how they are used
– A list of recommended suppliers for both leather and fittings (in London and online)
– A glossary containing essential keywords related to the topic of the lesson
– A glossary containing information about leather types and characteristics
Materials are included, except for the ones needed to create your own leather item.
If you are creating a leather item, you can either purchase the materials from us at a discounted price or buy them from other suppliers.
If you prefer to bring you own, just let us know when booking and make sure the leather is not thicker than 1-1.4mm.
By buying materials from us, you will receive a 10% discount on all materials.
12 hours (flexible times to suit)