• Personal Protection Equipment and the dangers of hot metal,
• The Forge hearth and types of forge,
• The Anvil, the various parts and their function, importance of stance and height
• Hammer Types
• Forging and Forming
• Use of and identifying tools and tooling
• Marking out
Skills used to make the items;
• Drawing down to a point (Square taper, octagonal, remove corners to round)
• Forging and controlling a flat taper ribbon end scroll / curl
• Bending and forming using basic tools and jigs
• Different hammer blows and their effective use
• The use of different parts of the anvil for fullering / drawing
• Use of hot cuts, hardies to split and cut off
• Twisting techniques and how to straighten and correct any inconsistency
• Punching round and square holes
• Upsetting / Jumping up
• Making Tenons and variations
• Use of Rivets and riveting
• Making and fitting Collars
If you will be redeeming a CraftCourses gift voucher on this course, the voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
Tools, materials and safety equipment are supplied, old non flammable clothes and stout shoes are essential, tea and coffee are available throughout the day, You will need to bring your own lunch, there is a fridge, microwave and gas hob available to use.
Each student has there own workstation with forge, anvil and tools needed.
Courses start at 9.00am and finish at approx 4.30 pm or to 6.00pm if its a hard day.
Parking is adjacent to the forge
John Bellamy at Blacksmiths and Metalworkers Association of the South West
Absolutely fantastic course, cannot recommend it enough.
Facilities excellent, instruction excellent. Well worth the trip down and have left with real knowledge and understanding of processes and tools.