Intensive Basic Blacksmithing Skills Course
Duration: Three days
at Blacksmiths and Metalworkers Association of the South West
11a The Mews
Contact course provider
About the Course
Content of the 3 day Basic Blacksmithing Course
• Personal Protection Equipment and the dangers of hot metal,
• The Forge hearth and types of forge,
• The Anvil, the various parts and their function, importance of stance and height
• Hammer Types
• Forging and Forming
• Use of and identifying tools and tooling
• Marking out
Skills used to make the items;
• Drawing down to a point (Square taper, octagonal, remove corners to round)
• Forging and controlling a flat taper ribbon end scroll / curl
• Bending and forming using basic tools and jigs
• Different hammer blows and their effective use
• The use of different parts of the anvil for fullering / drawing
• Use of hot cuts, hardies to split and cut off
• Twisting techniques and how to straighten and correct any inconsistency
• Punching round and square holes
• Upsetting / Jumping up
• Making Tenons and variations
• Use of Rivets and riveting
• Making and fitting Collars
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
Tools, materials and safety equipment are supplied, old non flammable clothes and stout shoes are essential, tea and coffee are available throughout the day, You will need to bring your own lunch, there is a fridge, microwave and gas hob available to use.
Each student has there own workstation with forge, anvil and tools needed.
Courses start at 9.00am and finish at approx 4.30 pm or to 6.00pm if its a hard day.
Parking is adjacent to the forge
Absolutely fantastic course, cannot recommend it enough.
Facilities excellent, instruction excellent. Well worth the trip down and have left with real knowledge and understanding of processes and tools.
Brodie Birss - - #9529
Review this course
Course Start Dates
Course dates are flexible; please get in touch for the next available date.
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.