2 day rustic stool or coffee table course with tutor Dave Jackson
Saturday and Sunday
On this two day course you will learn how to make a rustic stool or coffee table. You will leave with a unique completed rustic stool or coffee table made from oak, sycamore or ash and hazel (dependent upon timber stocks at the time of the course)
You will learn practical tips and techniques on:
• selection of timber
• designing for strength and aesthetics
• basic and correct use of saws, drills, bits, augers, tenon cutters and planes
• use of holding tools to include vices, bench dogs and planning stops
• simple tenon jointing
• basic finishing techniques to bring out grain, enhance lines and create texture
• accurate marking out and measuring
• making your own and using polishes and sealants (vegan options included)
• ppe (personal protective equipment) selection and use
• health and safety in the craft area
At Ecclesall Woods we pride ourselves on the high quality teaching from our tutors and our low class numbers (max 5 for most classes) and a number of our courses also have an assistant.
We have found that smaller class sizes are more productive, un-rushed and allow students to learn more
You will need to wear suitable clothing and footwear for working outdoors in this season. Steel toe cap boots would be advantageous if you have them, but are not essential.
Please note this course will require a good level of manual dexterity on your fingers.
Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 4 weeks before the course starts. Start dates may be amended on request.
All materials and tool use are provided for you on the day.
Refreshments and biscuits throughout the course.
Please bring a packed lunch, notebook and pen. PPE is available where applicable.
This craft course provider has been awarded Platinum status for receiving 50 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.