Course Start DatesSaturday 28th March 2020
About the Course
A One Day Beekeeping Experience
A great experience for anyone interested in Honey Bees and other Bees and Pollinators. You will learn in a small group about bees and the various ways we can help these valuable insects including an opportunity to see inside a working Beehive. Taking home: a pound of honey, a bee-related gift, and notes about helping bees.
Course Tutor: Amanda Millar:
Amanda regularly holds our Beekeeping Courses. She is a professional ecologist who has been keeping many colonies of bees for about fifteen years. She has attained many BBKA modules with credits & distinctions.
Learning about our bees and pollinators is so important and is a fascinating past-time! It is an interest that can just keep growing, as you begin to understand more and more about how these little insects work as an incredible and complex colony there is endless knowledge to gain. Bees are under threat and need our help to survive, by understanding the behaviour and instincts of our pollinators along with their needs and the problems they are encountering you can help a vital part of our environment.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
1. Introduction to bees and other pollinators. Learn about these incredible creatures; how they live and how to identify them.
2. The Honey Bee. Learn a little more about the biology and fascinating behaviour of the Honey Bee.
3. What is involved in keeping Honey Bees and the seasonal duties in an Apiary. Weather permitting you will be shown the inside of a hive and see the bees at work.
4. Products of the Honey Bee Hive. We will look at the bounty from the hive and sample different honeys.
5. Threats to bees. Look at the problems they are facing and how we can help to make a difference.
6. Gardening for Bees. Bees rely on gardens for home and food; learn what to grow and other tips to help, including establishing a mini wildflower meadow.
Try a sample of honey and take home a 1lb (454g) jar of local honey, along with a honey gift and notes from the day.
Refreshments will be provided, including a buffet lunch and a ‘honey-themed’ cake.
Parking is available at the entrance to our farm and our training room is just a short walk down our track.
This craft course provider has been awarded Silver status for receiving 5 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.