Learn how to marble paper and create the patterns seen on the covers of old books and the motifs seen in traditional Turkish Ebru.
James has opened his Ebru Studio for marbling workshops on a regular basis with the aim of providing colourful and fun, entertaining and informative opportunities to immerse yourself in the wonder of painting on water!
James will take you through the process step by step, ensuring absolute beginners will produce work they are proud of.
Experienced marblers will benefit from being encouraged to explore new techniques unique to Turkish Ebru.
• Suitable for complete beginners and experienced marblers.
• Taking place over 2 hours
• James can tailor the workshops to the needs of the individual. You set your own pace.
• James specialises in Turkish Ebru techniques. In addition to the more familiar marbling techniques he can also teach the flowers and motifs seen in traditional Turkish Ebru.
• Includes marbling onto at least 2 wood cutouts, such as hearts, butterflies and Mermaids.
The marbling workshops are held in James’ Ebru Studio, part of the creative community located in the stunning, newly regenerated Hotwalls studios, Old Portsmouth.
The Hotwalls Studios are located in the unique and important heritage buildings, known collectively as Point Battery, complete with toilet facilities, brasserie/cafe and access to the beach.
Pubs and cafes offering lunch are close by along with a Co-op and lots of outdoor seating.
For group bookings please get in touch directly to discuss requirements and discounts.
James’ own journey as an artist is a mix of very informal and intuitive, as well as the traditional and disciplined.
James' Turkish wife, Bahar, introduced him to Ebru in 2009 as a birthday treat. He went on to spend 5 years with Ebru master Kubilay Dincer, learning how to prepare materials and mastering many of the techniques required to produce traditional Ebru.
James has adapted many of these techniques to create his own style, blending traditional with contemporary. He uses digital media to create designs that can be applied to a wide range of products such as pure silk scarves, cards and cushions.
BYO food and alcohol is permitted (sensible limits!)
Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 2 weeks before the course starts. Start dates may be amended on request.
• We work on A4 tray and unlimited paper, you can take away all completed work
• 2 real wood cutouts included, more can be purchased on the day.
• Light refreshments including tea, coffee and biscuits. Bring your own lunch or use near by vendors.
2 hours (flexible times to suit)
This craft course provider has been awarded Gold status for receiving 10 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.