On this 100% online course delivered via Zoom, you’ll develop the skills needed to effectively plan, write and publish your own crime fiction writing.
It’s aimed at anyone interested in creative writing for crime fiction, whether you have done any previous writing before or are a complete beginner.
On this course you’ll look at how to effectively create tension, atmosphere, engaging characters and dialogue for fictional crime writing.
There’ll be online lectures, group discussions and creative writing tasks, with feedback from both the tutor and your peers.
During the course you will:
- outline the key aspects and understand the fundamentals of crime fiction
- take part in dynamic group discussions on effective crime writing
- address your readership and gain an insight into the genre
- examine the common storytelling devices of lead characters
- consider the quirks of the protagonist (the detective or otherwise)
- present and identify the killer and victims, considering victim stereotypes
- discuss plotting, planning and producing red herrings
- examine writing with atmosphere, tension and dialogue
- complete writing tasks from prompts
- gain feedback on your writing style.
You’ll discover what it takes to keep the reader wanting more, and will finish the course by looking at editing, drafting, proofreading, approaching a publisher and marketing.
What will I gain?
By the end of the course you’ll have built confidence in your writing skills and have some new ideas in crime writing to pursue.
You’ll also have a supportive network of fellow writers to potentially work with and have access to a variety of online resources.
Level: Beginner / Intermediate
Entry requirement: No previous experience is necessary.
Tutor Profile: Charlotte Baker is an author and an associate lecturer and PhD student at the University of Derby.
She has an interest in horror, identification, true crime and fandom.
Charlotte has over thirty fictional and nonfictional publications.
If you will be redeeming a CraftCourses gift voucher on this course, the voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
Six weeks of quality tuition from an experienced tutor.
Certificate of attendance upon completion.
Indicative maximum class size: 12
This course is taught onlineSee more from this course organiser
This craft course provider has been awarded Silver status for receiving 5 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.
6 weeks (6:00pm to 8:00pm)
Please select available date: