Course Start Dates
About the Course
On this practical, Apple Mac-based course, you’ll learn how to experiment with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to enhance your creativity and technical skills to create innovative digital textile designs and patterns.
This course is ideal for textile and fashion print designers at the start of their career.
So long as you’ve an interest in textiles, fashion or surface pattern design you’ll be welcome to attend.
Ideally you’ll bring to the course textile or fashion print designs that you’re currently working on or which inspire you, so as to ensure you get the most out of the practical projects.
The course leader will teach specific skills related to your own requirements.
On this course, you will:
- learn how to digitise and develop your designs using computer aided design (CAD)
- learn how designers use CAD today to create innovative new work, and how they are thinking about textile design in the future
- be introduced to techniques through group demonstrations and benefit from one-to-one tutorials to aid your development
- learn about different pattern repeats, styles and layouts
- learn how to create repeat patterns using Adobe Creative Suite to utilise your area of specialism: textile or fashion print design
- experiment with software painting and drawing tools, image manipulation, pattern, repetition, texture and colour
- learn how to create colour palettes using digital images
- research current trends in textile design and fashion print
- have the opportunity to create your own brief based on your own area of interest and personal style
- be able to create and save digital files in the correct formats for print.
The course will be taught on Apple Mac computers and, whilst no software experience is required, you should be confident in saving files and basic computer functions.
What will you gain?
By the end of the course you’ll have a have a good understanding of how the computer software can be used in different specialist areas to enable you to digitally reproduce your designs for commercial use.
Here's what previous attendees said:
“Stephen is one of the best teachers I have ever come across.” FJ
“Brilliant course. Stephen was very helpful and knowledgeable. I would definitely do another course.” SG
“It has made me fall in love with the Uni and textiles, and has inspired me to apply for my MA at NTU.” LT
“From not having any knowledge of this subject prior, I have learnt so much in such a short amount of time. The tutor was amazing - he was so passionate and positive.” MM
Tutor Profile: Stephen Rose has successfully worked as a freelance fashion and textile graphic designer since 1996, developing and designing creative print ideas for both major high street stores, such as Topman and River Island, and independent retailers in the UK and Europe.
Under the name of Now Fashion Graphics, Stephen’s design work includes creating t-shirt placement prints, all over fabric designs, licensed apparel, logos and branding.
Stephen has an in-depth knowledge of both Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop, enabling him to provide his clients and students with the best creative solutions tailored specifically to their individual needs.
He is also the co-founder of GraphicModa, an online platform that enables designers to sell their exclusive prints to a global audience of fashion print buyers.
Click through above to book your place online.
Modern accommodation is available a short walk from our studios and is available to those booked on to a summer school course for an additional fee.
Accommodation can be booked online via the link above.
If you have mobility issues, please let us know in advance so that we can be sure to accommodate your needs.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
25 hours of quality tuition with an experienced tutor.
Certificate of attendance upon completion.
Maximum class size: 10
This craft course provider has been awarded Silver status for receiving 5 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.