This workshop gives you the unique opportunity to experience the basics of two crafts in 1 day. The studios are located in the cottage garden of our home on the Cambridgeshire/Norfolk border.
The "2 crafts in 1 day" workshop is aimed at those who want to have a go at both of these fun crafts, and come away having learnt some basic techniques for both disciplines. The course is focused but fun, so would make a fantastic gift.
The day can also be experienced by two people where they would simply swap crafts after lunch (please refer to our website for prices for the 2-person experience), or we now have a "2 crafts in 1 day" workshop tailored at pairs, so both participants can try their hand at woodturning and pottery together. This makes for a wonderful Valentine's or anniversary experience, and can also be enjoyed by a parent and child (please refer to our website for prices for the couples experience).
The morning will be spent learning the ropes of woodturning - how to cut and shape wood on the lathe, understanding a little about the different tools required, and making a few pieces to take home.
After a light farmhouse-style lunch, the afternoon will then continue with a pottery session. Students can have fun with clay, focusing on some basic hand building methods to get them used to handling the material using the techniques of pinching, coiling, slab building and also throwing on the wheel.
A total of 4 pieces can then be chosen for us to glaze and fire once they have dried sufficiently. When ready, they can either be collected by the student (if they live locally) or I can post them on (I have to charge postage & packaging).
Refreshments will be provided during both workshops, and a light, rustic farmhouse-style lunch is also included. Depending on the weather/time of year, lunch can be taken either out in the cottage garden or in our country kitchen.
The sessions are hands-on, and the student will be able to use all the studio facilities. Each student will also be provided with a certificate of participation for both crafts.
We can advise of local accommodation for those wishing to include an overnight stay in the area.
If you will be redeeming a CraftCourses gift voucher on this course, the voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
1. All tools, materials and personal protection equipment is included (eye protection/lung protection for woodturning).
Some smocks and old shirts are available, but the student may wish to bring their own. If they already have some woodturning tools, they could bring these along too if they wish. It is important that the student wears comfortable shoes and clothing.
2. Ideally, rings and bracelets will need to be removed during the workshops (especially for pottery, as they can mark the clay).
3. Refreshments (tea/coffee/soft drinks) and a light, rustic farmhouse-style lunch will be provided.
3. The woodturning workshop is equipped with a Record Power DVR-XP lathe and dust extraction equipment. The pottery studio includes a wedging table, extruder, large table for hand building on, a Shimpo pottery wheel and a large top-loader kiln.
4. The tuition is one-to-one, ensuring the student gets the maximum benefit from the day with no distractions.
5. The age limit is 16+, unless accompanied by an adult.
6. We have insurance (IWW/5102205) to cover training & public liability.
7. All the student's woodturned work can be taken home. The pottery will need to dry completely and either be collected or posted on once it is ready (usually 2 - 3 weeks after the workshop).
8. Students are provided with a certificate of participation.
9. We can advise of local accommodation for those wishing to stay in the area overnight.