This workshop gives you the unique opportunity to experience the basics of two crafts in 1 day in your own personal workshop with one to one tuition. The studios are located in the cottage garden of our home on the Cambridgeshire/Norfolk border.
The "2 crafts in 1 day" workshop is aimed at those who want to have a go at both of these fun crafts, and come away having learnt some basic techniques for both disciplines. As this is basically a private tuition experience, the course is focused but fun, so would make a fantastic gift.
The day can also be experienced by just one person (to book this, please refer to our other workshop ""2 Crafts in 1 Day!" 1-2-1 woodturning & pottery experience in 1 day for 1 person".
This makes for a wonderful Valentine's or anniversary experience, and can also be enjoyed by a parent and child.
The morning is spent learning the ropes of woodturning - how to cut and shape wood on the lathe, understanding a little about the different tools required, and making a few pieces to take home.
After a light farmhouse-style lunch (which we provide), the afternoon then continues with a pottery session. Students can have fun with clay, focusing on some basic hand building methods to get them used to handling the material using the techniques of pinching, coiling, slab building and also throwing on the wheel.
A total of 3 pieces per person can then be chosen for us to glaze and fire once they have dried sufficiently. When ready, they can either be collected by the student (if they live locally) or I can post them on (I have to charge postage & packaging).
Refreshments are provided during both workshops, and a light, rustic farmhouse-style lunch is also included. Depending on the weather/time of year, lunch can be taken either out in the cottage garden or in our country kitchen.
The sessions are hands-on with expert 1-2-1 tuition - and the student will be able to use all the studio facilities. Each student will also be provided with a certificate of participation for both crafts.
We can advise of local accommodation for those wishing to include an overnight stay in the area.
Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 2 weeks before the course starts. Start dates may be amended on request.
1. All tools, materials and personal protection equipment is included (eye protection/lung protection for woodturning).
Some smocks and old shirts are available, but the student may wish to bring their own. If they already have some woodturning tools, they could bring these along too if they wish. It is important that the student wears comfortable shoes and clothing.
2. Ideally, rings and bracelets will need to be removed during the workshops (especially for pottery, as they can mark the clay).
3. Refreshments (tea/coffee/soft drinks) and a light, rustic farmhouse-style lunch will be provided.
4. The woodturning workshop is equipped with a Record Power DVR-XP lathe and dust extraction equipment. The pottery studio includes a wedging table, extruder, large table for hand building on, two Shimpo pottery wheels and a large top-loader kiln.
5. The experience is one to one private tuition, ensuring the student gets the maximum benefit from the day with no distractions.
6. The age limit is 16+, unless accompanied by an adult.
7. We have insurance (IWW/5102205) to cover training & public liability.
8. All the student's woodturned work can be taken home. The pottery (up to three pieces each) will need to dry completely and either be collected or posted on once it is ready (usually 2 - 3 weeks after the workshop).
9. Students are provided with a certificate of participation.
10. We can advise of local accommodation for those wishing to stay in the area overnight.
This craft course provider has been awarded Platinum status for receiving 50 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.
Amazing day at blended monkeys, my husband booked this as a surprise, and I loved it. Really friendly engaging teachers, and such a lot of fun. Lunch was lovely and water teas and biscuits on tap. Highly recommend this day both wood turning and pottery were really interesting. Lots of laughs, thank you.
Response from Blended Monkey:Hi Faye,
I booked this course for myself and my partner as a birthday gift. With minimal/zero experience in wood turning and pottery, we were very excited to give both crafts a go! The day really exceeded expectations, with a very professional approach from Louise and Simon when it came to teaching basic techniques in an engaging and friendly way.
We left Blended Monkey with the satisfaction of having learnt (or started to !!) new skills, and with the added bonus of a piece of woodwork in hand which was very satisfying.
Overall I could not recommend Blended Monkey highly enough, regardless of skill level. The teaching is really personal, so can easily be tailored, and the environment is so relaxing and welcoming that you can't help but feel at home.
Response from Blended Monkey:Hi Flo,