Stay home and safe and get into sculpting with my original Stay Home Sculpting Kit.
This is far more than just a kit: you will receive an armature, a manual, access to Youtube tutorials and demos, model reference images, and two live 1-2-1 video calls with me to guide you along and answer any questions you have.
Sculpting makes the hours just fly by, keeping my brain active and engaged. You too can now learn how to sculpt a life-size portrait in clay with this Stay Home Sculpting Kit. The method of sculpting I will be teaching you is based on observation. No measurements of the model are required. This allows you to be free with your sculpting and train your eye.
You will be able to Fire or Mould and Cast your sculpture. I will be teaching the method for firing during this course.
*£10 of each kit purchased will go to the NHS in fighting Coronavirus.
If you will be redeeming a CraftCourses gift voucher on this course, the voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
* 25 kg grey or terracotta stoneware clay. This is entirely down to personal preference so please let me know via a message.
* 6 Wooden modelling tools
* Flatpack wooden armature: a two-part wooden stand. Pre-drilled and fixings in the package. (one large screw). The tools needed for assembly are a screwdriver and drill.
* Downloadable Model Reference photos: you will be sculpting a female portrait model, and will be able to download the reference photos (in Jpeg).
* The 'Stay at Home sculpting manual' PDF Download. This manual is a Step by step instruction booklet written by myself for you to read through. I have written some of my Top Tips for you as well! You will be guided through from building the armature to how to finish your sculpture.
* Youtube demos: Each pre-recorded demo will demonstrate the different chapters of the manual. The Demonstrations will be accessible via a link to a private youtube playlist.
* Personal tutor video calls: you will receive two half an hour 1-2-1 video calls to discuss your sculpture at different stages. Calls will be arranged between the student and myself. I will be available to answer questions via email on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Please feel free to send me images of your work throughout the process, you will receive 6 weeks of Anotated photo feedback.
- Internet connection
- Video call
- Screw Driver/ Drill
This craft course provider has been awarded Gold status for receiving 10 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.
This is such a comprehensive and well planned out course for complete beginners and more advanced sculptors like myself just wanting a ‘personal sculptor trainer’ to keep me creatively motivated at home at times of my own choosing. Lydia’s teaching style is really clear and I love her ‘can do’ attitude and comprehensive instruction manual. This course would make a brilliant present for someone special!
I purchased this kit and it arrived very speedily (just in a few days). Overall the whole kit is such good quality, really well made and well planned. The manual which I received is so thorough, well put together and extremely easy to understand. You also get a video step by step and tutorials which for visual learners is a bonus. I don't think you'll find a course like this for this price elsewhere! I also love how part of the price is donated to the NHS, which is really needed in a time like this.
But of course know matter how good the manual is if you are a beginner like me you'll have 1 million questions going through your head as you are sculpting, so I am constantly emailing Lydia with pictures who replies super fast and and in a lot of details using diagrams explaining what to do. She usually replies very quickly (within a few hours if not sooner).
The best thing about this kit is that because it's at home and therefore fairly self led you can do it at your own speed taking as much time as you'd like and fit it around your life and other things you might be doing. You don't feel pressure to get it done in a set amount of time which has been really great! It also forces you to have confidence in your own decisions as the teacher isn't in the room with you which for me is very beneficial as I tend to rely on teachers a bit too much! But of course Lydia is always there is you need her (I tend to check in with her every once in a while, just for peace of mind if nothing else!)
I am also a returning student to Lydia Smith Sculpture Studio courses, I also did her 2 day ear sculpting course which was an in studio session with her so it interesting to compare the two ways of learning. And as you can see I have been so pleased with her course that I have come back and I will definitely be returning again after this course is finished. For anyone that likes being creative but maybe has no experience with clay, this is an amazing course and I would recommend it! You get to be hands on, practical and express your creativity. It's so fun and you don't need to be an expert. I am a complete beginner! But I can also see how this might be good for someone who is intermediate and is trying to brush up and improve on their skills, with Lydia's guidance and skills she can definitely help tailor this course for your level!