This unique one-week course focuses on the creative side of magazine design and production.
You’ll be given the opportunity to explore ideas, photography, storytelling, marketing and art direction.
You’ll generate your own eight-page magazine about a subject that matters to you, complete with individual photography, writing and design.
On this course you will:
- generate ideas around what is at the heart of a magazine and what it aims to do
- research your competitors and target audience, and look at how you can make your magazine stand out from what already exists
- consider editorial narrative, tone of voice, layout and structure
- discuss the brand, looking at design, style and printing techniques that can make a magazine unique
- discuss the potential exposure and stockists of the magazine, through events, social media and a network
- generate photographic and written content around your ideas.
No previous design or software experience is required for this course.
Good ideas and a willingness to collaborate are more important.
The course will combine lectures and workshops with photography and software sessions.
What will I gain?
In addition to an excellent knowledge of the magazine design and print industry, you’ll leave the course with your own eight-page printed magazine and the InDesign files to go on and create more issues.
The magazine, images and articles will also become valuable pieces to add to a portfolio.
Level: Open to all
Entry requirement: You should have an enthusiasm for magazine, art direction and storytelling, and an interest in developing your creative and technical skills.
Tutor profile: Benjamin Kay is a photographer, designer and image-maker who specialise in print and book arts.
As well as being a tutor at NTU, he is also one half of Dizzy Ink, a design studio in Nottingham.
Need accommodation for the summer?
You can book a self-catered, single room with private bathroom on our city campus, right next door to our studios and classrooms.
Accommodation can be booked online via the link above.
Doing your Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award?
This course can count as your Gold DofE Residential.
If you will be redeeming a CraftCourses gift voucher on this course, the voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
One week of quality tuition with experienced tutor.
Certificate of attendance upon completion.
Indicative class size: 12
Creative Short Courses at Nottingham Trent University
50 Shakespeare Street Nottingham Nottinghamshire NG1 4FQ