About the Course
"Home Business Idea"
This one to one candle making workshop is specifically tailored for those thinking of starting a candle making business. On this comprehensive workshop, award winning candle maker Kerrylyn Bell will teach you the steps involved in making and selling candles as well as giving you the confidence and knowledge to create your own soy candle business with minimal start up costs.
The workshop is held midweek only, simply get in touch for available dates.
- We will discuss your target market so we can determine what style and price point of packaging will be most appropriate for your business.
- How to make a soy scented container candle including all troubleshooting problems
- The different candle waxes and their main differences.
- We will discuss all about candle wicks and their importance in candle making.
- Different fragrance options (essential oils v fragrance oils and nature identical oils) you will be able to choose your own scent from our fragrance library.
- Step by step process of making a container candle using natural soy wax and how to measure the correct quantities.
- You will assemble and hand pour 2 container candles.
- We will recommend and discuss suitable wholesalers for your business raw ingredients and you will take away a full list of suppliers and wholesalers.
- We will discuss packaging options for our candles.
- You will learn how to cost your candle for wholesale and retail.
- How to test wicks for candle making.
- How to burn a candle correctly.
- How to fix surface problems.
- Health and safety and legislation on labeling (CLP). We will cover the regulations that you need to adhere to and tell you how to get the correct information for your labels that are within clp framework. We will discuss how to stay legal in this business and what you need to adhere to be able to sell your product to the public.
- We will cover the equipment needed for candle making.
- The importance of testing candles.
By the end of the workshop, you will be able to make a soy wax container candle and have the confidence and knowledge to be able to take the next steps to starting your own candle business. There will also be time to ask any questions that you may have.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
Included is all the equipment, materials, 2 candles that you have hand poured to take away, a candle making kit and a mid morning break of tea or coffee.
What you will take away :
- 2 scented container candles that you have hand poured yourself.
- a starter candle making kit
- the workshop hand out which covers the content of the course and gives further reading
- a full list of suppliers and wholesalers
- a copy of a candle testing sheet, I will email you the original after the course for you to adapt and use
- email support after the workshop.
Having attended two of Kerry's candle making workshops previously and being a massive candle lover I decided I would like to start my own small business but hadn't a clue where to begin! After today's Business Workshop I feel confident to get things up and running and see how things evolve. Kerry willingly shares her extensive knowledge of the science of candle making and the tricks of the trade 😊. Such an interesting and enjoyable day, I left with a wealth of information and two fabulous candles that I made myself with ongoing support available when I need it from the lady herself. Thank you so much Kerry xx
Karen - - #19569
I attended the business workshop on Tuesday 29th Jan, what a great course and Kerry was amazing, lots learnt and so friendly and a lovely warm welcome. Kerry has given me so much information ready to start my own business. Also continuing support through emails. I can't recommend this workshop enough. Thankyou Kerry.
Jayne Wood - - #19451
Kerry was a fantastic fount of knowledge. I’d be making candles for a long time but very small batch for myself only and wanted to find out the technical formula as well as legal requirements and suppliers. Kerry generously shared all the information I need to get started in business for myself. I feel confident to dive right in now. Highly recommended!
Brooke - - #19446
Thoroughly enjoyed the course with Kerrylyn! She’s very friendly & provides a full list of everything to get you going! Highly recommend!
Ashleigh Morton - - #18106
I can highly recommend this Business Candle Making Workshop. Kerry is very knowledgeable and willing to share her expertise and tips. The workshop environment that Kerry has created is very relaxed and conducive to learning. The handout provided gives lots of information and is already proving to be a valuable resource to me. Thank you Kerry!
Nicola - - #17584
Fantastic and very informative morning I have learned loads today Kerrylyn is warm and friendly and I am armed with loads of info to start my own candle business 💗I also have 2 perfect candles to try in a week I also now know how to take care of my candles - I would highly recommend this course to anyone wishing to start their own candle business fab morning xx
Dee pilkington - - #17321
Having attended one of Kerry's first Xmas workshops a couple of years ago with my sister, I have just returned to attend a bespoke 1-1 session. The aim of the 1-1 was to discuss a couple of problems i'd faced whilst making my own candles and also to learn how to make reed diffusers and wax melts. Kerry asked me in advance to send her a brief summary of the problems i'd encountered and when i arrived on the day, she had the whole session tailored around my issues. My husband attended the session with me and Kerry was so patient with us and answered our questions fully. Our session was so enjoyable and informative, the time passed far too quickly. Kerry is a dream to work with and is genuinely so willing to help. All of her points/answers are backed up with real examples which just further proves how good and knowledgeable she is! Her lovely country cottage kitchen is the perfect setting too, i'd absolutely recommend Can to Candle workshops to anyone, whether you are looking to build your own empire or just start a hobby, Kerry is your woman.
Abbey Gear - - #17067
I took the this course as my first step into starting my own business and i'm so glad i did. She was very knowledgeable and gave me all the information i needed to get started on my own as well as making me feel confident in my ideas.
Katie - - #16535
In one word - Great. I already make Candles, and sell them, but I wasn't sure if I am doing the right things. Came from Tel Aviv Israel (was already in Scotland), and thought it might help me to improve. Well ....... say no more. Kerry was amazing. Knows how to teach, knew what I exactly needed to be a better Candle Maker. All I can say is a BIG thank You.
Irit - - #15616
Had a Lovely Morning of Candle making with Kerry, really enjoyed it she has so much experience and has helped me greatly with my Candle Making Journey
Highly Recommend this course x
Thank you Kerry
Tracey - - #15389
Brilliant, informative course. Content was excellent . Kerrylyn was a patient tutor . Thoroughly enjoyed this and would recommend her to anyone
Sandra Watson - - #15284
I spent a super informative day at can to candle! I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested or even considering candle making as a business. Kerrylyn was so organised and helpful! I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Emma Forster - - #14943
A friend and I took this course with Kerry and it was wonderful! We learnt everything we needed to start a business of our own, and left armed with information and contacts in case we got stuck along the way. If you are looking for a business candle workshop, look no further!
Ingrid - - #14791
Just completed the business course with Kerry. Thoroughly enjoyed my time in her lovely kitchen. Learnt loads and Kerry is very knowledgeable which she is willing to share. Would highly recommended.
Valerie Brewster - - #14694
This was the second course that I have attended and it was every bit as good as the first.
Kerry is a wonderful teacher she is so enthusiastic and knowledgable and her home is such a beautiful setting.
I feel I have made a real friend.
Beverley Wilson-Kemp - - #13872
This is my second course with Kerry and once again a delightful day . Her expertise and knowledge is outstanding . Her honesty is a breath of fresh air in this business . I look forward to our next time together .
Vicki - - #13479
Course dates are flexible; please get in touch for the next available date.
This craft course provider has been awarded Platinum status for receiving 50 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.