Learn to paint with yarn! Tapestry Weaving is a unique art form that allows you to create detailed designs with your imagination being the only limit! Skills that provide endless design options, colour and texture meet in Tapestry Weaving for Beginners, my comprehensive video based online course, that covers the essentials techniques needed for beginners of the art to excel and to be equipped to bring their own designs to life with confidence. When mastered, the techniques in this course help form a strong foundational skill set that can be enjoyed for many years to come.
***Please note: This course is currently set at the special promotional price of £99 as it is being sold ahead of its release date which is Wednesday 31st March 2021. From the release date the course will sell for £120. By making a pre-order purchase, ahead of the release date, you won't have access to the course until the aforementioned release date but you will save money.
Unlimited access means you can learn when it works for you and being an online course means you can do it from the safety and comfort of your own home. Repeat the videos until your heart's content and until you master the techniques. Use the quick reference PDF sheets when you need a speedy refresher and consolidate what your learning with the optional milestone quizzes as you progress through the course. There is also an opt in secret Facebook group so members of the course can form a helpful community to support one another through the learning process.
As a Tapestry Weaver I have stood in your shoes as a beginner and understand how overwhelming attempting Tapestry Weaving can be at times as there is so much to it. I also know just how tricky finding the specific information you need for each aspect of Tapestry Weaving can be. Whether that be sourcing the right tools and materials here in the UK or finding complete and reliable instruction.
I have invested a lot of time, money and personal dedication to get where I am in my current skill level today - having learnt tapestry Weaving in Mexico City before studying the art form in my current studies on the Foundation Diploma in Tapestry Weaving at West Dean College of Art and Conservation. In this course for beginners, I am offering everything I would have been thrilled to have had in one place so that more people can gain the joy and benefits of Tapestry Weaving for themselves. Everything you need to know as a beginner can be found in one place - this course!
After the course you will be able to:
- Understand what Tapestry Weaving is
- Understand how the structure of Tapestry Weaving works
- Use top tips for successful weaving
- Know which tools and materials you need and how to source them
- What the warp and weft are and how to choose suitable yarns for them
- How to warp basic frame looms using the freestyle and measured sett techniques (epi and wpi)
- How to prepare the warp before you start weaving
- Weave using the plain weave technique
- Implement principles for strong tapestries
- Use the wider design techniques of: Colour blending, hatching, basic shapes and Rya knots to incorporate into your Tapestry designs
- How to secure your tapestries prior to removing them from the loom
- How to remove your tapestry from the loom
- Gain some ideas for how to start displaying your finished Tapestries
If you are interested in this course but are not sure if it is right for you, then please do get in touch, so I can assist you with any questions and concerns you may have.
The course will include approximately 28 pre-recorded instructional videos, downloadable PDF quick reference sheets to accompany the core chapters that together form a comprehensive quick reference guide and milestone quizzes to help consolidate what you have learnt into your longer term memory.
Please note that this course DOES NOT provide or include any physical materials or tools. It does provide a thorough list of UK based shops and sellers that sell Tapestry Weaving tools and materials at a range of price points as well as video explanation as to the necessary tools and materials.
Tools and materials you will need:
For this course you will need a loom suitable for Tapestry Weaving (and either a stand or a pair of G- clamps to go with it), yarn appropriate for warping the loom, yarn appropriate for the weft, a small pair of scissors, a tapestry weaving needle and either a tapestry bobbin or tapestry beater. If you are reading this and thinking “I have no idea what any of those things are”, then don’t worry. This course goes through everything you need in terms of tools and materials, where to get them from, what they are used for and how to use them. The course even includes handy downloadable notes for quick reference of what each of the tools and materials are and where to get them from in the UK. If you are in any doubt about what was mentioned then I would urge you to wait until you have access to the course so you can make any purchases needed better informed.
In order to access this course and have a smooth experience you will need:
- A laptop or computer. You can use other devices that connect to the internet such as tablets and mobile phones but keep in mind the course is video based so will require heavy internet usage so if you are on a data plan on your mobile phone or other device this is best avoided. The overall learning experience will be much improved if the course is viewed from a laptop or computer or device with a larger screen such as a tablet.
- A strong internet connection either WIFI or a broadband cable. Again you cannot do this course without a reliable and sustainable internet connection as it is an online course.
- Whichever device you decide to use for the course must have an up to date operating system.
- For the optimal viewing experience, it is a good idea to ensure your internet browser is updated to the latest version to ensure the videos are displayed in all their glory. You can check how your browser and device handle videos by going to YouTube and viewing a few videos there for free. If they run smoothly and clearly without lagging then you should be good to go.
This course is taught online