On our taster sessions, all of the glass you use is pre-cut. You have ready to go base glass, and you get to design and decorate your pieces with a variety of colourful glass frit, stringer and accessories. Choose from a variety of makes, including suncatchers, Christmas decorations, freestanding waves and more. A great opportunity to try out a bit of glass fusing! The focus is on having a relaxed and easy going session, but a great opportunity to meet like minded people if you're on your own. Suitable for those who perhaps cannot commit to a full day, can only get in the evenings or who are nervous of the thought of cutting glass. Many people come back time and again on these sessions, sometimes moving on to full days. **Even young children are welcome to these sessions, but are chargeable at the same price as adults (they make the same amount of items). Please be aware that you will be working with 'raw' edged glass and care must be taken, as there is always a risk of cuts.
What's included in the price?
All tools and materials that you may need are provided, you just bring yourself and any inspiration or ideas that might help you if you wish.
Easy - Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 2 weeks before the course starts
Mad About Glass!
- Limited mobility
- Learning difficulties (SEN)
- Mother's Day
- Public transport
- UK Holiday
- School holiday workshops & activities
- Stag dos
- Overseas Holiday
- Parking provided
- Intermediate level
- Suitable for all abilities
- Fairs, festivals & exhibitions
- Father's Day
- Tutor can travel
- Daytime (weekdays)
- Pet lovers
- Hen dos
- Engagement, birthdays & anniversaries
- Corporate days out & team building
- Suitable for beginners
If you’re coming on a taster session, then no - you’ll be provided with pre-cut glass shapes, so you can focus on designing and decorating
If you’re doing the full experience day, then yes, we will show you how to score and break glass as part of the day’s experience. If, later on in the day, when we move onto using coloured art glass, you can carry on cutting your own glass, or Dawn is happy to do this for you, so that you can focus on creating a beautiful design.
A normal pick and mix session is around 2.5 hours long, but I do suggest allowing three hours as many people get quite absorbed in what they’re doing, and lose track of time!
I am not usually too strict if we overrun slightly, although if you’re on a morning session, I may need time to clear up and have lunch if there is an afternoon session on the same day.
I do send an information sheet out for all workshop participants, but I suggest the following
- don’t wear your Sunday best! You’re coming to a working studio, shared with other makers, so it’s not a pristine, gallery environment. It can be dusty.
- wear layers, The studio is based in an old Victorian warehouse building, which lacks insulation with a high roof space…so if it’s cold outside, it can be cold inside too, likewise, in warm weather it can get quite hot too
- footwear - wear something comfortable and sensible. I can’t guarantee there is no broken glass anywhere on the floor, so whilst you don’t need to wear steel toe cap boots, please do wear covered shoes, no open toed sandals or flip flips, etc.
I know it’s not easy to turn up at a specific time especially if you’re new to the location or depending on traffic, and I don’t want you to be hanging around outside if it’s cold and wet, but I do ask that you don’t turn up any more than around 15 minutes before the start time of your course - I may still be setting up the studio and not be ready for you yet.