Gel plate printing’ is a mono printing technique using a plate made from gelatine. Artists traditionally use a glass plate or an acetate sheet with a print press, but with a gel plate you can create your own beautiful and original artwork at home.
This handcrafted kit has been created by Liverpool based artist Bev Evans as an alternative to attending her ‘Introduction to gel plate printing’ class. Suitable for both a complete beginner or somebody with art/design/craft experience who is looking for a new skill, gel plate printing is super easy. It’s a simple process of applying paint to the gel surface using a roller, adding a texture or pattern, then pressing down paper by hand to transfer the print design. Make this as easy or difficult as you choose - either way you’ll be amazed at the results!
Bev has worked in art and design for over 30 years and knows exactly what equipment and knowledge students need to get started. Rather than buying ready-made stencils and texture sheets, have fun finding leaves and feathers to print with or ‘household’ textures such as fruit or string - a great activity to do with the kids.
Suitable for all ages and abilities, the kit contains almost everything you need to get started - you’ll just require a few additional items that are easily found at home. Read over the short user guide sheet, and then watch Bev printing in her videos where she demonstrates different techniques. Set aside a few hours by yourself or with friends to enjoy this kit and learn something new and creative. It’s totally addictive!
The video tutorials start with the basics of gel plate printmaking and continue to more advanced techniques, building up to make use of the prints produced at the beginning. Each video is colour coded according to subject and is also suitable for anyone with a hearing impairment. Videos are free to access via Youtube - full viewing instructions are in the kit box.
WHY BUY ME?
- Bev's gel plate is handmade in her garden studio and is fully biodegradable (being made from vegetable glycerine and animal-based catering gelatine)
- You can cut the plate down to use as smaller size printing stamp blocks
- You can melt this plate back into its original format using an old saucepan on the stove and a non stick container like a plastic food tub. Full instructions are supplied in the kit box
- This makes a great gift
This starter kit comes in a sturdy reusable kraft box with colour front label and includes 9 items:
- 1 x homemade biodegradable 8x5 inch gel plate (21x15cm, approx A5 size) - eco friendly, unlike many commercial polymer plates out there!
- 1 x roller/brayer 6cm
- 30 A5 sheets of white ultra smooth artists quality paper, 120g weight, ideal for printing
- Red 50ml water based acrylic paint
- Yellow 50ml water based acrylic paint
- Blue 50ml water based acrylic paint
All paints are easy to clean up and fun to get messy. They are fully mixable so try your own shades!
- 1 stencil template sheet - Bev's own simple artwork designs help you to get creative, plus a space to try out your own ideas
- A small selection of five tools/texture-making items (including recycled fruit/veg packaging and kitchen paper!) or find your own tools at home to experiment with, like bubblewrap
- 25+ YouTube video mini-tutorials
Things to find at home
- craft knife
- cleaning cloth/kitchen paper
- access to sink
- scrap paper
- leaves/ foliage
4 items available