Be inspired by the Masters: Miro, Matisse cutouts, Braque birds, Bauhaus weavers to create your very own felt collage masterpiece. Or go "off-piste" and use your own or other artists' imagery.
This is the kit version of my pre-felt in-person or live online workshop and it's great for children. You'll need to know the wet felting technique to make best use of this kit. If you don't I very much recommend the On line on Demand version which includes a video.
Once you've purchased your kit message me to let me know what colours of pre-felts you'd like. I'll pack them up and post them off to you. And if you are purchasing more than 1 kit to the same address please contact me first as postage is likely to be less.
If you're a school or community group do get in touch as my pricing is different.
To make your felt collage you'll use sharp scissors to cut and place different colours of pre-felt atop an A4* size pre-felt background (or two A5*).
Once your design is complete you'll use wet felt making techniques to bring your cut pre-felt together into the finished piece without the need for glue or a single stitch! If you would like once it is dry you can then embellish it with stitch or beads.
Developing the pre-felt into felt is made up of a series of repetitive actions. Many people find these relaxing and some a stress buster. But, the final stages of wet felting can be quite vigorous and is very hands on. If you have arthritis or a similar condition in your hands you may find parts of the process more challenging. This does not mean you will not be able to undertake this workshop, just that it may take you a little longer to fully felt your work.
* NB during the wet felting process your work will shrink. Pre-felt tends to shrink less than handmade wet felting.
By how much varies considerably for lots of reasons including the structure of the pre-felt and the technique of the maker. I find a general rule of thumb is between 5-10%. These figures rise to 10-30% for completely hand made wet felted work.
Want to know when new dates and courses are being added? Join my mailing list. Or, if you're looking for something a little different, click 'chat with the maker' to discuss a bespoke package/the perfect date for you.
- A4 background (NB there is currently a choice of background colours: natural, black, blue or plaster please contact me to tell me which)
- a selection of pre-felt pieces in various colours and sizes
- 1 x A4 tracing paper and 1 x A6 freezer paper
- chunk of olive oil soap
- bubble wrap (if you haven’t got a large enough piece waiting for recycling).
All to be found around your home:
- your pre-felt kit sent in advance
- any designs you have worked up from the pre-workshop notes
- embroidery/textile scissors or nail scissors
- cardboard tube from tinfoil/cling film or rolling pin
- if you have one a plant spray bottle
- a couple of tea towels or similar
- access to a water supply/sink
- creative spirit!
This craft course provider has been awarded Gold status for receiving 10 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.