Our intermediate course is aimed at the enthusiastic hobbyist who wants to take their woodworking skills to a whole new level.
It’s not intended as a pathway into professional woodworking, but will give you the skills and confidence to flourish in your woodworking hobby.
You will be taught by Alan McGovern, a skilled cabinet maker with over 33 years of experience and, with only two students on the course at any one time, tuition will be intensive.
You will be taught basic skills, including how to:
– Season timber and make a cutting list
– Sharpen a plane/chisel
– Hand plane a piece of wood
– Top planing and jointing techniques
– Make hand-cut mortise and tenon joints
– Machine-cut mortise and tenon joints
– Make hand-cut dovetail joints
– Make mouldings by hand with a moulding plane and then by using a table router
– Make tongue and groove joints and how to use the Japanese peg system/Miller dowel system
– Make tapered legs
– Fix a table top to the carcass allowing for wood movement
You will also be taught a selection of finishing techniques.
If you will be redeeming a CraftCourses gift voucher on this course, the voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
The course begins with instruction on how to safely use hand tools and the wide range of heavy machinery available at the Chippendale school.
Your course project will be to design and build a hardwood table with a size restriction of 1500mm long x 500mm deep x 800mm high. You can, of course, take this table home with you.
Depending on your ability the complexity of the piece can vary, but could be:
– a table with four legs and an apron
– a table with four legs, an apron and two dovetailed drawers
– a table with four legs, an apron, two dovetailed drawers and secret compartments
At the completion of the course, a list will be provided of what tools to buy should you wish to further develop your hobby and, if you wish to progress to the 30 week professional course, an interview with the school principal can be arranged.
At any one time we take a maximum of two intermediate students, so it is advisable to book your place well in advance. There are no set starting dates.
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.