Course Start DatesSaturday 15th February 2020
About the Course
This workshop is an exciting extension of the popular wooden crafted pens delivered by Imants Grindulis. If you have an interest in the beauty of wood and would like to turn your own unique wooden bowl, come and join Imants for this workshop. You will learn simple woodturning skills that will enable you to turn and craft your very own wooden bowl that you will take home with you. This exciting workshop introduces you to the principles of using a lathe safely, care of woodworking tools, the suitability and preparation of wood for your wooden bowl project and spindle turning. The wood you will use for your bowl is natural and environmentally sustainable. The workshop will give you the skills to create a perfect gift, the workshop itself, also makes a wonderful present. You may also be interested in the Crafting a Pen workshop that Imants will be delivering in the morning/afternoon.
By the end of this workshop, you will know how to;
- Follow health and safety guidance when turning and finishing wood;
- Recognise basic wood turning tools and how to use them;
- Prepare wood for your wood turned project (practice piece and your wooden bowl);
- Secure your work piece to a lathe safely;
- Turn your wood safely and correctly; and
- Finish your turned wood pieces to create your beautifully crafted, and unique, bowl.
At the end of the workshop, you will take home your practice piece and your turned and crafted finished wooden bowl.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
The Rural Skills Centre will provide;
- All materials to make your wooden bowl will be provided;
- Protective equipment will be available for you to use;
- Tea/Coffee and homemade cake are provided for you to enjoy,
- There is plenty of parking available,
- Accessible facilities.
Additionally, please wear;
- Leather/covered footwear (This will protect against items that you may accidentally drop);
- Long sleeved non-woollen top (Wood cuttings tend to stick to wool more than synthetic materials);
- Long hair will need to be tied back;
- Please advise us if you are sensitive to nut oils/beeswax/natural resins when booking.
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.