I help beginners to the craft of stained glass to create their first piece of stained-glass art so that they have a solid foundation of skill, a simple repeatable process to follow to make further pieces, and a finished work of delightful sparkling-ness to proudly display.
Start date late November - finish before the Christmas holidays! Last chance to join before 2022.
Rather than begin your learning by using solid lead (called lead came) to construct stained glass, we use the easy to learn copper foiling method (as used by the world-famous Tiffany Glass Company from the late 1880’s) which is proven to be strong, long-lasting, and suitable for gorgeous detailed, stained-glass creations.
This online series of 4 workshops each covering a specific set of fundamental skills is for you if you:
* Would love to learn stained glass but cannot attend an in-person workshop or course
* Would love to learn but can't dedicate a whole day to learning in one session and prefer bite-sized sessions for learning
* Have the tools but don't know where to start and would like the confidence to get going on your own
* Tried self-learning stained glass making but hit some practical difficulties with techniques, found the amount of techniques overwhelming, or had contradictory advice and would like the clear steps forward to achieve the results you are looking for
* Would like video replays to review techniques in your own time AND have backup support available for questions
* Just love learning online!
*** 'Tools, Tips, and Techniques' PDF download each week for each of the 4 sections of learning with guide to essential skills and techniques, tools needed, top tips, and recommendations as to where to source your supplies (UK only).
*** 'Tools & Supplies' summary PDF during the first Workshop session so you can see my recommended tools and supplies list so you can start gathering your materials and equipment together well before the end of the series of workshops, ready to get started on your own stained glass creations.
*** Invitation to join my dedicated Stained Glass online group for beginners who attend my workshops. In the group, there are opportunities for feedback as follow up to the workshops, my tips and techniques, live Q&A sessions where I can help you with your copper foiling stained glass issues, themes and challenges, and more!
*** PLUS *** you will have access to my pre recorded videos on the 4 sections of learning so you can replay them and go over the essential information when you need a refresher.
All this is designed for you so you can get started as quickly and easily as possible without watching endless youtube videos (go straight to the information in a single process), without contradictory advice (get started with the essential info which works), and get results safely (yes, there are things which you need to be concerned about – I advise where you need to do more research and how you can best protect yourself so you can relax while enjoying creating stained glass).
Please note: This is a 'watch-a-long' series for learning, not a 'craft-a-long' workshop. You will learn much more initially by watching and asking questions. If you choose to join the online support group, there may be opportunities in there to make projects in real time, once we have completed the initial 4 weeks.
Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 2 weeks before the course starts. Start dates may be amended on request.
Four LIVE online 1.5 hour workshops (6 hours teaching/Q&As in total):
Weekly sessions topic plan:
1. Patterns & Cutting Glass: sourcing and choosing patterns, how to prepare the pattern for use (and methods for transferring the pattern pieces to the glass), and glass cutting techniques.
2. Shaping and Foiling: Glass grinders (and how to finish glass edges without a grinder) and all about foiling - choices, application of foil to glass, and tips for making it stay in place.
3. Soldering 101: the essential techniques and tips for soldering your pieces together. Includes adding hangers and tips on when pieces need to be reinforced to make them stronger and how to do this.
4. Finishing with Patinas and Polishing - includes aftercare tips and display ideas.
* 'Tools, Tips, and Techniques' PDF download each week (weeks 1-4)
* 'Tools & Supplies' summary PDF (week 1)
* Invitation to join my dedicated Stained Glass online group for ongoing support, Q&As, and more
* Access to pre recorded videos on the 4 sections of learning for on demand replays
* Computer, laptop, or tablet - a mobile phone would be ok but the screen may be a bit small to be able to see some of the teaching session (ideal for popping onto the FB support group afterwards though!)
* Good stable internet connection
* Zoom app - teaching will be via group zoom call. You'll the opportunity to learn from everyone else's questions and to interact with others during the workshop
* Privacy - it is not required that you have your video turned on, or that you speak if you would rather not do so in the recordings. You can turn your video and microphone off when entering the call and you can still ask questions by typing in the chat so that I can answer any queries which you have.
* Access to the Facebook group for workshop attendees only (If you are not a Facebook user, you could consider setting up a profile just for the support group aspect after the workshop)
* Notebook & pen (you can also print out my notes for your own use and to add your additional notes to)
* Enthusiasm for learning lots about making wonderful stained glass creations
This course is taught online
4 weeks (7:00pm to 8:30pm)
This craft course provider has been awarded Platinum status for receiving 50 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.
4 weeks (7:00pm to 8:30pm)
The course doesn’t currently have live datesContact the tutor for more information