Have your kids ever wanted to learn sewing? How about fashion design? This groundbreaking course will demystify the art of dressmaking. Simple techniques. Fantastic structure. The knowledge that will stay for life.
The course is 100% online, with no expiration date: take it at your own time & speed.
Our age range is only a recommendation: younger kids may also take the course but will need assistance from parents, older kids can be learning on their own.
Module I: A warm welcome to the course and first introduction to sewing.
• Complimentary ready-to-print pdf-workbook
• Safety instructions when sewing & working with scissors
• Tools and supplies needed for the course
• Learn basic hand-stitching techniques
• Learn how to use a sewing machine + free Sewing machine crash course as a bonus
• Learn basic sewing slang
• Learn some sewing tips & tricks
• Learn to unpick stitches
• Take a quiz to refresh all the new information
• Ready-to-print pdf-colouring book with all things dressmaking
Module II: Scrunchies
First designing and sewing project: fun scrunchies.
• Learn to make your first pattern for a simple scrunchie
• Learn how to make a scrunchie from scratch
• Start using a sewing machine and master your hand stitches
• Get creative: learn to make an infinity scrunchie
• Learn to make a two-coloured scrunchie
• Learn to add decorations to your scrunchies
• Take a quiz to recap the module
Module III: bags
Time to use your scrunchie-making knowledge and add more to it: let's make a few bags!
• Learn to make patterns for the tote and gym bags
• Learn to make a simple gym bag from scratch
• Learn to add pockets to your bag
• Learn to work with thicker fabrics
• Learn to make a tote bag
• Learn to make a french seam
• Learn to change the designs of your bags
• Take a quiz to check your knowledge
Module IV: skirts
After the previous modules, you are now ready to start designing & making clothes. Let's start with skirts!
• Learn to take your measurements for a skirt
• Learn to make a tutu skirt
• Learn to work with jersey fabric
• Learn to make a jersey skirt
• Learn to make elasticated belts
• Learn to make beautiful hems
• Learn to make a pattern for a sun skirt
• Learn to make a sun skirt
• Learn to design half-sun and double-sun skirts
• Take a quiz to refresh your knowledge
Module V: tops, dresses & jumpers
Time to learn something new using all the knowledge and skills you have accumulated before.
• Learn to take your measurements for tops
• Learn to design a basic top pattern
• Learn to make a cotton top
• Learn to finish necklines
• Learn to design a pattern for a dress
• Learn to make a cotton dress with ruffled details
• Learn to make a jersey dress
• Develop block vision for pattern design
• Learn to make a pattern for a jumper
• Learn to make a jumper
• Take your final quiz to celebrate the end of the course
Sewing machine, fabrics of your choice, iron, measuring tape, tracing paper or a4 paper & tape, pencil, tailor's chalk or marker, pins & needles.
The full list is in the workbook!
This course is taught online
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.
991 items available
My daughter really enjoyed this sewing and fashion design package for kids! It's an online resource with workbooks and videos - everything in one place and ad-free. Elizaveta has been very helpful as well and kindly responded to our questions. Would definitely recommend this as a family bonding experience as well!
My 9 year old daughter has just completed this course and has thoroughly enjoyed it. It has ignited her creative side and she has loved choosing fabric and proudly shows her makes to friends and family. She even had a sideline in selling some of the scrunchies and bags she made! It is a very clearly laid out course, easy to understand and has been a lovely way to spend time together. Since completing the course, she has also learnt how to make masks. Now that she can make some of her own clothes, her next project is planning her own outfit for Christmas! I am very pleased to have found this course as it has provided her with a skill for life.
Response from Studio Arkdefo LLP:Thank you Fiona! Your little one is truly a superstar! We loved seeing all the photographs of her makes! All the best of luck with future designs!