September special offer: 2 Day Complete Lampshade Making Masterclass: 1-2-1 tuition
Contact course provider
About the Course
September Special offer: £450 reduced from £650
Two day complete Lampshade Making Masterclass including professional advice and insight on how to brand, market and sell your lampshades successfully.
This masterclass is suitable for those wishing to learn the craft as a hobby or those who are planning to start a professional lampshade making business.
During this 1-2-1 workshop we will equip you with the knowledge and skills required to construct 3 professional looking tailored shades ( modern drum shade, traditional tailored shade and advanced pleated or gathered shade). We will also discuss the techniques for construction other types of more advanced lampshade styles such as paneled (separate panels sewn or glued), fan pleated, swathed and ruched shades. We will provide all the materials and by end of the workshop you will take your shades home to add the perfect touch to your interiors.
This is what we cover during this workshop:
* Tools, equipment and useful books
* Suitability of fabrics, trimmings and embellishments
* Lampshade styles, anatomy of frames, fittings and lamp base/shade proportion
* Fire safety regulations: How to treat your fabric with fire retardant agents
* Construction of a professionally finished drum shade with fabric, PVC and lampshade rings
* Construction of a traditional tailored shade on cross grain, balloon lining, pining, frame binding and lampshade stitches
* Construction of a pleated or gathered shade, balloon lining, pining, frame binding and lampshade stitches
* Discussion of more advanced lampshade styles such as paneled (separate panels sewn or glued), fan pleated, swathed and ruched shades.
* How to brand your business
* How to market your business
* Learn how to price your products and services with profit
* How to create a successful pitch and approach retailers
* Selling strategies
* How to wholesale and attend trade shows and fairs
* And all the tips and tricks of the trade
The idea of turning your skills, talents or passion to a craft business is very alluring. It's rewarding and possible, but the reality is that you need to be equipped with huge amount of knowledge of what is really involved. During this workshop we will talk about how to make that transition. We will prepare you with facts and useful information. This includes list of suppliers, how to put together a collection, pricing your products, selling direct to consumers or retailers, wholesale strategies, how to prepare yourself for attending craft fairs, shows or trade exhibitions. We will also talk about the importance of branding, marketing and how the advances of today's social networking and online communities can enhance and increase the potential audience for your craft.
When contacting us, Please mention the dates you’d like to attend the workshop and upon availability the workshop dates are confirmed and booked. Full advance payment is required in order to secure your place to attend the workshop.
For more information on our other lampshade making workshops please visit our website.
For student gallery and reviews please visit our website and feel free to email or call if you have any questions.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
Materials and a light lunch
I thoroughly enjoyed this course from beginning to end. Under Moji's excellent and patient tuition I learnt exactly what I had hoped I would, and more. The bright and airy studio was very comfortable and easy to work in and Moji had a wealth of knowledge to share on the subject. I highly recommend the course.
Sarah Clarke - - #14728
Response from Moji Designs:Dear Sarah,
Thank you so much for your kind words. I greatly appreciate your feedback and I am very pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the workshop. I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.
Review this course
Course Start Dates
Course dates are flexible; please get in touch for the next available date.
- Accessible by public transport
- Suitable for beginners
- Suitable for events & groups
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.