Course Start DatesTuesday 28th April 2020
About the Course
Explore a range of materials and techniques through which to develop ideas. In the first term we will be modelling from life.
Suitable for any level of experience.
Who is this course for
Develop your own ideas, work with a range of materials, techniques and approaches, both traditional and contemporary.
Suitable for all levels, beginners to advanced.
What does this course cover
The aim of the course is to:
In term 1 the course will be concentrating on life modelling.
1. Introduce students to the process of making sculpture through observation and by gathering resources and materials.
2. Encourage awareness of the use of source information and creative ideas, using sketches and maquettes to develop a finished piece.
3. Students will be encouraged to follow personal projects, or the tutor will assist in developing a project plan.
By the end of the course students will:
1. be able to work more independently towards the completion of a sculpture.
2. be able to choose appropriate materials and resources.
3. be aware of techniques and a variety of processes for the making of sculpture.
4. be able to apply some techniques for making sculpture.
5. be able to make aesthetic judgments about a piece of sculpture.
What will it be like
Individual tuition and group work.
Students may do set projects offered.
Practical demonstrations will be given.
Assessment is ongoing and based on tutor observations.
The tutor will look at understanding of technical and aesthetic processes in relation to your discussed aims.
Verbal feedback is given throughout classes on a one-to-one basis.
At the end of each term we will discuss projects as a group.
What else do you need to buy or do
Students should wear stout shoes and bring an apron or old shirt, sculpture can be messy, and dusty.
There will be an occasional life-model and the cost of model fees are extra. The tutor will discuss prices at the start of the course.
Mary Ward Centre is an adult education centre with a difference. We provide a wide range of subjects for people at all levels and run courses during the day, evening or weekend to suit your timetable. Get inspired and enjoy excellent teaching in an environment where each individual’s learning experience is valued. That’s what makes Mary Ward Centre ‘the friendly place to learn.’
Please get in touch via the links above for more details or to book your place.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
This craft course provider has been awarded Gold status for receiving 10 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.