Over 5-days you will learn the foundation skills that professionals use to make simple furniture accurately and with a great finish. You make a beautiful and useful wall cabinet with a hinged door, to perfection!
The course is based around hand tools, but also covers how your work might be improved with certain power tools, like a router. And don’t worry if you have no previous experience, we will take you through every process at your pace and with loads of supervision and advice!
We also walk you through our machine shop and explain how everything works, what they do, and how some small machines may help you in your making.
Our woodworking courses take place in-person at the Atlantic Makers Collective furniture workshop just a stone’s throw away from the stunning coastal town of Bude, North Cornwall. You will learn professional-quality skills in a friendly space, dedicated to training, education and development. You will also have the opportunity to meet the professional designer/makers based at the Atlantic Makers workshop, and discuss what they’re working on.
Included skills learned on the course:
• Tool Sharpening: Plane blades and chisels
• Reading Wood: Understanding grain direction, knots, end grain, sap
• How To Use a Fore Plane: The correct way to use a larger bench plane
• How To use a Block Plane: When a block plane is better than a fore plane
• How To Use Chisels: How to work from a 6mm chisel to a 25mm chisel in a controlled manner.
• Accurate measuring: Using good quality rulers, and marking with knives rather than pencils. Using set squares correctly. When it is appropriate to use digital calipers.
• Simple jointing techniques: Practical joints for simple furniture explained and practiced.
• Door making: One of the key skills for any furniture making, explained step by step.
• Door hanging: We’ve all seen it done badly, learn how to do it well!
• Sanding: How to get a perfect flat finish every time.
• Oiling: A simple, reliable process for achieving fine furniture finishes.
• Introduction to Routing: Either by demonstration or by you, depending on experience
• Machine Shop walkthrough: We’ll explain the machines and tools used in a practical, professional workshop as guidance and inspiration for your own workspace.
That’s it !
We’re confident that you will find this rewarding, educational and highly enjoyable!
Cancellation and a full refund can be obtained up to 2 weeks before the course starts. Start dates may be amended on request.
All materials and tools for the duration of the course are included.
If you would like to bring your own tools, we can show you how to set them up for fine, precision work.
Tea, coffee, and biscuits are provided throughout the day. You can bring your own lunch, or buy lunch at Kilkhampton or Bude, each a 10-minute drive from our workshop.
5 days (9:00am to 5:00pm)
5 days (9:00am to 5:00pm)
The course doesn’t currently have live datesContact the tutor for more information