About the Course
This taster course is an ideal opportunity for you to learn some basic pattern cutting skills and to complete simple patterns to your size. In the studio there will be a number of clothing samples for you to study, and you will learn how to draft the patterns of your choice. Not only will you study basic geometric shapes and how these work with the body, but also about tools of the trade and pattern cutting terminology. Whatever your preference be it menswear, womenswear, gender neutral or childrenswear, this course will benefit you. By the end of the day you will take home at least one completed pattern to your size. The course is suitable for anyone with an interest in making patterns for clothes. No previous experience is required. You can take 1 course or develop your skills further by taking 2 or all 3 of these weekend courses.
By the end of the course you will be able to
to use pattern cutting tools
to use simple pattern making techniques
to identify and use the basic terminology of flat pattern cutting
to create patterns for trousers using simple but effective methods
take home a completed pattern to your own size
Class format and activities
After examining and discussing sample clothing, the tutor will demonstrate basic pattern shapes and how these can be used to develop finished trouser patterns. You will be able to draft a loose fitting trouser pattern to your own size. Hand-outs and other printed materials will be used as support for design and skill development. Teaching will be in groups and on an individual, one-to-one basis and you will be encouraged to develop your creativity.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
This is a Beginners Course. All are welcome.
•Suitable for people with limited or no previous experience
•Students must be able to speak, read and write in English
•Basic numeracy is essential
What you need to know before you enrol
• This course is very intensive; punctuality and good attendance are necessary.
• Working on patterns and cutting fabric can involve standing at high tables. Please let your tutor know if this is difficult for you.
• Sewing machines have a foot operated speed control.
• The fashion studios are on the first floor of the Nancy Seear Building and there is wheelchair access via a stair-lift.
• Please also note: there is no eating or drinking allowed in the fashion studios – no liquids at all are allowed.
What you will need for your class
• paper scissors
• a basic sewing kit: fabric scissors, pins, tape measure
• sewing thread
• notepad and 2/3 colour pens, HB pencil, sharpener and eraser
• some pattern cutting tools are provided for use in the studio
• paper and card are available for use in the studio
• calico for toiling is available at cost price from your tutor
• you will need to purchase a sewing machine bobbin from your tutor for £1, refundable at the end of the course
What you can do next
We run a variety of specialist courses, as well as other courses which might be of interest, including clothes making and pattern cutting.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.