Pattern Cutting Beginners – Morley College – 11 Weeks On Campus
Contact course provider
About the Course
For beginners or for those returning to the subject, this structured course will provide you with a thorough introduction to the core skills of pattern cutting, enabling you to use basic blocks to create simple patterns.
This course is also useful if you study textiles and want to create your own garments from your own fabrics. Using a standard size block, a different garment type is taught each term: autumn – skirts; spring – bodice with sleeve; summer – trousers. Attending all three terms of the course will build your knowledge and skills as you work on different garment types.
Progression to Intermediate level is possible but you must have achieved competence at using basic blocks, making basic style manipulations and drafting simple patterns.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
• to use a standard size pattern block to draft simple bodice shapes
• to use basic manipulation techniques to create a variety of styles
• to use balance marks, grainlines and other technical information
• to make and use toiles as part of the process of creating a finished pattern
This is a Beginners Course. All are welcome.
• Suitable for people with limited or no previous experience
• Students must be able to speak, read and write in English
• Basic numeracy is essential
• Basic sewing skills are desirable but not essential
What you need to know before you enrol
• Working on patterns and cutting fabric can involve standing at high tables. Please let your tutor know if this is difficult for you.
• Sewing machines have a foot operated speed control.
• The fashion studios are on the first floor of the Nancy Seear Building and there is wheelchair access via a stair-lift.
• Please also note: there is no eating or drinking allowed in the fashion studios – no liquids at all are allowed.
What you will need for your class
• paper scissors
• a basic sewing kit: fabric scissors, dressmaker’s pins, tape measure, tracing wheel
• sewing threads
• notepad and 2/3 colour pens, HB pencil, sharpener and eraser
• A4 ring binder file
• ‘Metric Pattern Cutting’ by Winifred Aldrich is the reference book used on the course. It is useful for you to have your own copy
• some pattern cutting tools are provided for use in the studio
• paper and card are available for use in the classroom
• calico for toiling is available at cost price from your tutor
• you will need to purchase a sewing machine bobbin from your tutor for £1, refundable at the end of the course
What you can do next
If this is your first term of the course, further terms of Pattern Cutting: Beginners are advised in order to lead to Intermediate/Advanced level courses. We recommend attendance on all three terms as this will amount to a thorough foundation in the subject. Once you have achieved a foundation of skills, we offer a wide range of further and specialist courses in pattern cutting and garment construction.
You might want to try one of the following:
• Clothes Making: Beginners
• Introduction to the Sewing Machine
• Pattern Cutting: Intermediate
• Draping on the Stand
• Fashion Design
Follow the link to Morley College for details of:
• Course times
• Concession & Senior fees where available
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
Teaching is both as a whole class and on an individual, one-to-one basis using demonstrations, discussion, examples, samples, handouts and other technical support material where appropriate. The tutor will give demonstrations of technique and lead discussions.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.