About the Course
Nottingham is synonymous with miniature painting, from Games Workshop’s mighty armies and multi-part kits, to the bespoke models produced by smaller companies around the city.
This short course is designed to help hobbyists develop their miniature painting and reach the next level of confidence and ability, regardless of the theme or style of miniatures they work on.
The course is very practical, with plenty of hands-on painting projects, demonstrations and one-to-one tutoring.
However, each new approach and technique will be examined at a theoretical level to begin with, asking and answering ‘why’ as well as ‘how’ it is useful.
You will then learn about project preparation, ensuring your models will look the best they can, even before you apply paint.
On this course you will:
- practice on paper to select the correct colour palette
- use photographs as a guide
- look at sub-assemblies and the order of painting
- explore speed painting and its application
- examine the effective use of light and dark (the contrast and the planes of a miniature)
- use masks, templates, airbrushes and oil paint
- experiment with unusual and found materials to add detail, texture and realism
- learn about colour theory and how to apply it to your models
- use compositional techniques to direct the eye around your miniature
- learn from the work of others, both miniature painters and artists in other creative fields.
Familiarity with miniature painting is helpful but not essential.
The course is designed so that you can develop at your own pace - any level of painter can learn and improve.
Practice models will be provided, but you’re welcome to bring unpainted miniatures of your own to work on.
This course is open to anyone aged 16 and above.
What will I gain?
You will leave with the knowledge, confidence and techniques to improve your painting and continue to develop with each new project you undertake in the future.
Click through above to book your place online.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking. If you have mobility issues, please let us know in advance so that we can be sure to accommodate your needs.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
Two days of quality tuition with an experienced tutor. Maximum class size: 12.
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.