Course Provider: Ecclesall Woods Craft Courses
Contact Name: Fay Kenyon
Telephone: 0114 235 6348
J G Graves Woodland Discovery Centre
Course Length: Two days
5 star rating, 1 reviewers.
A 2 day Course to introduce you to Green wood craft, using a Pole Lathe, basic craft tools and making simple Rustic furniture.
9.30 - 4 p.m.
Over the course, you will cover the following:
1. Consider different types of native timbers [wood] and what you can make from it.
2. Be introduced to the various types of tools used in Greenwood Craft, and how to use them.
3. Learn the art of 'Cleaving or Reaving' from Hazel rods to large billets of timber..
4. Use of Cleaving breaks and shaving horses. What they are and how they can be of use.
5. Preparing to make a 'Rustic Table' having mastered the various equipment & tools used in greenwood craft, and will look at the basics of pole lathe turning techniques to make a rustic table.
Students will select harvested (coppiced) wood, and shape it with axes and drawknives to prepare parts for spindle turning . By using simple traditional tools, the materials can be transformed into a range of useful and decorative items.
Your objective will be to make a 'Jointed' Rustic table using greenwood working techniques. What is Green Wood? Green Wood is freshly felled, still sappy wood. To work it requires a set of simple techniques based on an understanding of how wood reacts - both to the tools, and to the dry and shrinking process. Because it is green, the wood is soft and easy to work with hand tools, and because of this, green woodwork creates little waste, and can utilise small trees and logs. It is therefore green in all senses of the word.
A Rustic table is made from milled timber [Ash, Oak or Sycamore] for the top, with legs and stretchers of Hazel or Ash in its natural form. This makes a very handsome table, and is a great course to develop your greenwood craft skills, either as a hobby, or the first steps on a new craft career!
All adult courses are open to 16 year olds and over.
What's included in the price?
All materials and tools are provided for you on the day. You will need to bring a packed lunch - drinks are provided! Please wear suitable clothes for working outdoors.
Jim Caine -
This craft course provider has been awarded Gold status for receiving 10 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.