About the Course
Ideal for beginners to the subject, learn the basic construction methods required to produce a simple but professionally finished leather purse or wallet. Gain skills that can be used to develop your own pieces. Working with a provided pattern, you will make a lined purse or wallet in leather with a choice of simple closure. No previous experience of the subject is required but sewing machine skills are essential.
By the end of the course you will be able to
to use a simple pattern to cut leather
to construct a purse using leather
to use suitable fastenings and fittings
To practise specialised leather stitching and use leather tools
to follow instructional hand-outs correctly
Class format and activities
Techniques used for cutting leather and stitching using a domestic sewing machine will be demonstrated. There will be an emphasis on sharing knowledge and experience, through discussion, show and tell and group crit. The tutor will work with students one-to-one and in groups.
In order to ensure that you make the best possible progress on your course, you will have regular feedback from your tutor, in a constructive and supportive environment.
This is an Intermediate level course.
Before you enrol, you must have achieved the following:
• Use body measurements
• Follow beginners pattern instructions
• Use pattern lays, grainline and selvedge
• Use sewing machinery accurately
• Have completed at least 1 garment from commercial patterns to a good standard
• Students must be able to read, write and understand fluent English
• Mathematics and numeracy skills are desirable but not essential
What you need to know before you enrol
• This course is very intensive; punctuality and good attendance are necessary.
• Working on patterns and cutting materials can involve standing at high tables. Please let your tutor know if this is difficult for you.
• You will be using tools, including knives under the supervision of the tutor.
• Sewing machines have a foot operated speed control.
• You will occasionally use glue in the class. Health & Safety information will be given to you at the start of the course and subsequent lessons where necessary. You may be asked to sign a form declaring that you agree to follow college procedures as advised.
• Some chemicals used may be harmful to certain health conditions or in pregnancy. Please let your tutor know if this is the case and they will advise you as to necessary precautions.
• The fashion studios are on the first floor of the Nancy Seear Building and there is wheelchair access via a stair-lift.
• Please also note: there is no eating or drinking allowed in the fashion studios – no liquids at all are allowed.
What you will need for your class
• a basic sewing kit: fabric scissors, trimming scissors, tape measure, dressmaker’s pins
• dressmaker’s tracing wheel, dressmaker’s carbon paper
• paper scissors
• masking tape, Pritt stick
• notepad and 2/3 colour pens, 2H pencils, sharpener and eraser
• A4 ring binder
• you must purchase a materials pack from the tutor at no more than £20
• paper and card are available for use in the classroom
• you will need to purchase a machine bobbin from your tutor for £1, refundable at the end of class
What you can do next
We run a variety of specialist accessories courses as well as other courses which might be of interest, including clothes making and pattern cutting.
You might want to try one of the following:
Designer Bags and Handbags
Pattern Cutting: Beginners
Costume Design and Making: Tudor to Restoration
Sewing Suede and Soft Leather
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.