Machine Quilting with St Ives Adult Learning
Contact course provider
About the Course
Learn how to quilt using your sewing machine. You will be introduced to various techniques for machine quilting including straight, decorative and free stitching, and you will learn how to prepare the fabric and wadding, which thread to use and the correct type and size of needle. There will be lots of opportunity to experiment with different ways of quilting and at the end of the day you will have detailed notes and samples for reference and lots of ideas so that you can carefully plan your next quilting project. To attend this course you need to bring your own sewing machine and be able to set it up and use it for straight and zigzag stitching.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
You need to bring the following equipment and materials:
• sewing machine and instruction book
• machine bobbins that fit your machine
• all the feet and accessories that came with the machine and any extra feet you may have
• sewing machine needles sizes 80 and 90 and if possible quilting size 90
• a twin needle size 80 or 90
• hand sewing needles
• needle threader (loop wire type)
• cutting out scissors plus a small pair of scissors
• 505 spray glue
• selection of sewing threads
• reel of white bobbin thread (Bobbinfil)
• machine quilting thread (optional)*
• reel of invisible thread (optional)*
• fading marker pen
• pen, pencil and a ruler
• felt tip pen
• a few sheets of A4 paper
• 9 pieces of thin calico about A4 size
• 7 pieces of wadding about A4 size
• 3 pieces of plain or small print patchwork fabric A4 size
• Some other pieces of calico, wadding and fabric
• 2 simple pieced blocks such as 9 patch or rail fence about 20cm finished in plain or print fabric
Please bring a packed lunch - tea and coffee are provided free of charge.
*Those items marked optional can be provided by your tutor. If you purchase items in advance and should the course not run due to circumstances beyond our control, we will not be able to take responsibility for the cost of those materials.
Review this course
Course Start DatesSaturday 19th May 2018
This craft course provider has been awarded Silver status for receiving 5 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.