About the Course
In this fun and inspiring workshop you will learn how to really make the most of a sewing machine, using it to 'draw' and create a set of unique images based on Flora and Fauna. You have the choice of working from your own images (drawings and/or photos) or from some of mine.
By the end of the day you will have:
- Learnt how to set up a sewing machine for free machining
- Learnt how to prepare images and fabrics for free machining
- Studied a range of samples for inspiration and understanding
- Watched a range of demonstrations
- Experimented with different ways to add colour to your images: threads, pens, dyes
- Experimented with free machined cording techniques
- Understood health and safety issues when free machining
- Created a set of sample images to take home with you
- Eaten a lot of home made (sometimes home grown!) food
- Received a set of technical handouts to support your day's learning
The workshop is run for groups of 2 people on 2 days negotiated with me (can be weekdays or weekend), and is held in my comfortable and cosy garden studio close to Richmond Park and Kingston town centre. The session costs £60 each of if you want to do the course on your own it will cost £105.
Although new to advertising my courses on Craft Courses, I have 26 years experience teaching art, textiles, printmaking and illustration in further and adult education, in colleges and privately too, so you can be certain of well structured, well paced and inspiring teaching and learning.
Alongside my teaching, I have been a practicing artist and designer for 30 years, exhibiting nationwide and working commercially within the fields of textiles and illustration.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above or telephone us. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
Costs include all materials,refreshments and lunch. You can use my Pfaff sewing machines, or bring your own if you feel more comfortable with a machine that's familiar. If you are bringing your own, you just need to check beforehand that you can drop the feed and bring an embroidery foot that fits your machine.
A thoroughly enjoyable course and so much packed into one day. Leaves me wanting to attend another course by Ruth Blackford.
Embroidery fan - - #17886
Course dates are flexible; please get in touch for the next available date.
This craft course provider has been awarded Gold status for receiving 10 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.