About the Course
Being able to use a sewing machine is a useful skill to have for so many things and can open the way to the world of clothes making and garment construction. Many people would like to make their own clothes or sew their own creative projects, but find the idea of using a sewing machine too daunting. This course will help you get to grips with this vital skill by teaching you how to use a two-thread sewing machine and to overcome your fears. Learn how to set up a machine correctly, to solve problems and to use a variety of presser feet to produce a variety of stitches. The course is suitable for you if you are a beginner or you lack confidence to use a machine.
By the end of the course you will be able to
to thread a two thread machine successfully
to use the features of the machine appropriately
to produce simple seams and seam finishes
to practice simple processes
to analyse and correct simple problems
to carry out basic maintenance of a basic domestic two-thread sewing machine
Class format and activities
You will set up and thread a two-thread domestic sewing machine, practice using various features of the machine to produce a number of samples and use the machine manual throughout. The tutor will give demonstrations both to the whole class and on an individual, one-to-one basis using lecture, examples, samples, hand-outs and any other technical support material where appropriate.
Constructive and supportive feedback from your tutor will help you succeed during the class.
This is a Beginners Course. All are welcome.
•Suitable for people with limited or no previous experience
•Students must be able to speak, read and write in English
•Basic numeracy is an advantage though not essential
What you need to know before you enrol
• This course is very intensive; punctuality and good attendance are necessary.
• Sewing machines have a foot operated speed control.
• The fashion studios are on the first floor of the Nancy Seear Building and there is wheelchair access via a stair-lift.
• Please also note: there is no eating or drinking allowed in the fashion studios – no liquids at all are allowed.
What you will need for your class
• a basic sewing kit: fabric scissors, trimming scissors, tape measure, dressmaker’s pins
• sewing thread
• pen, notebook, A4 ring binder and clear plastic pockets
• you will need to purchase a small materials pack from your tutor at no more than £2
• you will need to purchase a sewing machine bobbin from your tutor for £1, refundable at the end of the course
What you can do next
You will now be able to attend courses which require you to be able to use a sewing machine dependent on your level of subject specific ability, including a wide range of clothes making courses and accessories courses.
You might want to try one of the following:
Clothes Making: Beginners
Introduction to Pattern Cutting
Introduction to the Multi-Thread Machine
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
This craft course provider has been awarded Bronze status for receiving 1 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.