Course Start Dates
About the Course
This course gives you the knowledge to really understand how to create a healthy diet for you and your family.
Discover how food affects us and how what you eat can improve or damage your health. Understand food labelling, which fats you should be eating, the role of vitamins and minerals in the body and so much more.
Who is this course for
No previous experience required. In this course we will explore how nutrition is related to health and disease and how to create a healthy diet for yourself. Topics covered include:
- Antioxidants and free radicals
- Dairy products: the pros and cons. Alternatives to cow's milk and yogurt
- The benefits of different whole grains
- Gluten and wheat allergy and intolerance
- Common digestive problems and how to improve your digestive health
- Supplements and micronutrients for improving digestion
What does this course cover
- Discuss the process of digestion and absorption of nutrients by the body
- Explore the main food groups: proteins, carbohydrates and fats
- Take a detailed look at good and bad fats in the diet
- Learn about the glycaemic index and maintaining balanced blood sugar levels
- Discuss obesity, insulin resistance and diabetes
- Look at the role of vitamins and minerals in the body
- Learn about the foods and cooking methods which are damaging to health.
Mary Ward Centre is an adult education centre with a difference. We provide a wide range of subjects for people at all levels and run courses during the day, evening or weekend to suit your timetable. Get inspired and enjoy excellent teaching in an environment where each individual’s learning experience is valued. That’s what makes Mary Ward Centre ‘the friendly place to learn.’
Please get in touch via the links above for more details or to book your place.
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
This craft course provider has been awarded Gold status for receiving 10 or more 5 star ratings from previous students.
The Students' Choice award ensures that course providers get recognised for their efforts in the teaching and practice of UK craft.
They also allow tutors to gain valuable feedback on their courses and for new students to find the course that's right for them.