About the Course
This course is designed to equip woodland owners to take control of deer management within their woods.
- Understanding landscape scale management, the role a stalker can play in cull collaboration
- Understanding levels of accreditation for deer managers and the minimum appropriate to activity, minimum levels of competency, proving competency, seeking references. Key questions to achieve reassurance
- Understanding levels of risk and mitigation
- Understanding levels of responsibility and liability. Type of insurance and minimum cover appropriate to risk
- Using established networks to find a suitable deer manage
- Forming a simple contract appropriate to need
- Agreeing and setting cull numbers
- How to monitor against set impact targets – how to manage poor cull performance
- How to manage disagreements and conflict
- Understanding venison supply chain and ensuring good practice
If booking with a CraftCourses voucher for part or all of the course fee, please fill in the contact form above. Your voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
What's included in the price?
Tools, equipment and refreshments are provided and participants are asked to bring their own food and appropriate foot wear and clothing. Free parking. Courses start promptly at 9.30 (feel free to arrive from 9 for refreshments).
Rustic huts on site, camping / campervan area with stocked kitchen and wash facilities and fire pit. Café on site too! Please ask us for advice on local B&Bs and hotels.
Small Woods use only experienced professionals and woodland practitioners as tutors. We have more than 20 years’ experience of delivering courses and training and a reputation for high quality teaching and professionalism.
Small Woods courses are suitable for all levels of experience and ability and we keep course numbers low. The physical nature and/or woodland location of some courses may make them difficult for people with mobility problems. We do, however, have many years’ experience in enabling all groups to attend courses and will make every effort to ensure a satisfying experience for all.