If you're building a sustainable home, you might just be considering a compost toilet. This course explains how to build a range of different compost toilets, from the very basic to luxury models. It includes the large-scale – a toilet block for a campsite - and the small-scale – a toilet extension for a house -plus retrofitting a compost toilet indoors. It deals with the theory of how they work, including urine separation, using the compost, and keeping everything ticking along nicely - essentially everything you ever wanted to know about compost loos!
The course is led by tutor Cordelia Rowlatt, who runs Vallis Veg in Somerset with her partner. They are off-grid, and have a range of compost toilets for themselves and for their campsite. She believes you should never take your toilet for granted.
If you will be redeeming a CraftCourses gift voucher on this course, the voucher code must be provided at the point of booking.
As well as over 3 hours of video tutorials with tutor Cordelia Rowlatt, the course includes 29 accompanying pdf texts, the entire text of our "Compost toilets: a practical DIY guide".
- What is a compost toilet?
- Carbon:nitrogen ratio
- Pathogens / hygiene
- A bit of history
- Basic bucket toilet system
- First Vallis Veg toilet
- Market garden and campsite toilets
- Market garden toilet
- Campsite toilet
- Campsite washblock toilet
- New campsite toilets (with waterless urinal)
- Our first house toilet
- The house toilet (including pest control)
- Processing the urine and faeces
- Benefits: comparisons with other systems
- Benefits: water, soil, pollution, energy, cost
- Buying a compost toilet
- Various types of basic compost toilet
- What happens to the urine?
- Urine separation and processing
- Faeces treatment
- Building an indoor compost toilet: tools, materials, planning
- Urinals & drains
- Steps & platform
- Handbasin, fly-trap, extras
- Building a toilet as a house extension: introduction
- Room, chambers, accessibility & separating systems
- Connecting the urine tank
- The seat
- Waterless urinal
- Use and maintenance
- Questions and troubleshooting
- The future
After purchasing, we will be in touch via email and issue you with your personal link to access the course.
This course is best viewed via a computer rather than a mobile phone or tablet. You will also require Adobe Acrobat or similar in order to view the pdf text elements.
This course is taught online